- Sengerema Telecentre became operational (as a Multi-purpose Community Telecentre), as a pilot project established through collaborative efforts by the Sengerema District Community, UNESCO, ITU and IDRC-CANADA, COSTECH, TCRA, TTCL, Open University of Tanzania, the Prime Minister’s Office, Tanzania Library Services, and TCCIA, Sengerema District Council, Sengerema Secondary School, and Sengerema Folk Development College.
- ORS Community Radio goes on air as the first community radio in Tanzania.
- UNESCO Communication and Information Programme is established in Tanzania. (Formerly operations were coordinated from Nairobi).
- UNESCO supports FADECO Community Radio in Karagwe.
- UNESCO supports Kyela Community Radio.
- The Community Media Network is established at a meeting held at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication of the University of Dar es Salaam. Interim leadership elected.
- COMNETA starts operations as a virtual network through a free listserve on yahoogroups.
- The Community Media Wiki page is developed at through a free platform provided by the Commonwealth of Learning (COL).
- The Principles of Community Radio are developed in Sengerema.
- UNESCO supports Micheweni Community Radio in Pemba – the first Community radio in Zanzibar.
- Micheweni Community Radio is launched by His Excellency president Amaan Abeid Karume.
- The 54th Bureau of the International Programme for the Development of Communication, which met at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, grants $35,000 for the Development of the COMNETA Constitution, support for the Network’s registration, as well as funds for two workshops to strengthen the capacity of network members.
- Kyela Community Radio is launched.
- Community Media Network Facebook page created.
- COMNETA collaborates with the Kenya Community Media Network to form a virtual East African Community Media Network (EACOMNET).
- A first meeting that brought Community Radios from Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda is held in Sengerema under the auspices of the East Africa Community Media Network (EACOMNET).
- Community Media Network (COMNETA) is officially registered in Tanzania under CAP.318.R.E of the 2002 Trustees Incorporation Act.