UNESCO Goodwill Ambassadors for Culture
UNESCO’s mission and activities are extended and amplified by an outstanding group of celebrity advocates who have generously accepted to use their talent and status to help focus the world’s attention on the work of the Organization in the domain of culture.
UNESCO Goodwill Ambassadors advocate for the following cultural activities:
- Mehriban Aliyeva: Oral and Musical Traditions (Mugham etc.)
- Alicia Alonso: Promotion of ballet dancing
- H. E. Miguel Angel Estrella: Promotion of a culture of peace and tolerance through music; sponsorship of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity - Masterpiece "The Andean Cosmovision of the Kallaway in Bolivia"
- Vigdís Finnbogadóttir: Promotion of linguistic diversity; women's rights, education, jury member for the Mondialogo School Contest 2005/2006; sponsorship of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity - Masterpiece "Kihnu Cultural Space in Estonia"
- Bahia Hariri: Preservation of World Heritage, education on World heritage; environment; women's rights and sustainable development in the Arab World
- Omer Zülfü Livaneli: Peace and tolerance through music; cultural diversity; promotion of human rights
- Kitín Muñoz: Protection and promotion of indigenous culture and environment; sponsorship of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity - Masterpieces "The Cultural Space of Jemaa El Fna" and "Moussem de Tan Tan" in Morocco
- Madanjeet Singh: Founder of the South Asia Foundation; promotes regional co-operation through culture, education and sustainable development. In 1995, the UNESCO Executive Board established a biannual "UNESCO-Madanjeet Singh Prize for the Promotion of Tolerance and Non-Violence"
- Zurab Tsereteli: Cultural and artistic projects
- Giancarlo Elia Valori: Safeguarding of Intangible Heritage
- Marianna Vardinoyannis: Protection of childhood; promotion of Cultural Olympiads, humanitarian relief to war victims; co-sponsored the conference "Athens Round Table of Business Community against Trafficking of Human Beings"; sponsorship of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity - Masterpiece "Azerbaïjani Mugham"