Diploma Award Ceremony of Enhanced Protection of Cultural Heritage
On 12 June 2014, in the framework of the celebration of the 60th anniversary of the 1954 Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict, Mr Francesco Bandarin, the Assistant Director-General for Culture, granted awards of enhanced protection for ten cultural properties in five States party to the Second Protocol to the 1954 Hague Convention.
These cultural properties include the Walled City of Baku with the Shirvanshah's Palace and Maiden Tower and Gobustan Archaeological Site in Azerbaijan; House and Workshop of Victor Horta, Neolithic Flint Mines at Spiennes and The Plantin-Moretus House-Workshops-Museum Complex and the Business Archives of the Officina Plantiniana in Belgium; Choirokoitia, Painted Churches in the Troodos Region and Paphos in Cyprus; Castel del Monte in Italy; and Kernavė Archaeological Site (Cultural Reserve of Kernavė) in Lithuania. All of those properties are already listed in the World Heritage List under the 1972 Convention.
Enhanced protection, a category of protection for cultural heritage introduced in the Second Protocol, protects cultural heritage of the greatest importance for humanity that is protected by relevant national legislation and is not used for military purposes or to shield military sites. It is the hope that this ceremony will help to raise awareness of the Second Protocol to the 1954 Hague Convention and encourage Member States to seek enhanced protection for their cultural property.