Meeting in Salvador (Brazil) of the Scientific Committee of the General History of Africa
First meeting for the Drafting of the Volume IX of the General History of Africa (GHA) : objectives and expected results
Salvador (Brazil), 21-24 November 2013
In order to steer and supervise the preparation and publication of Volume IX, the Director–General has designated members of the International Scientific Committee. Just like the previous international scientific committee of the GHA’s, this one is based on a strong representation of experts from Africa and the African Diaspora thus enabling the inclusion of an "insider's perspective" on new opportunities and challenges Africans and people of African descent are now facing.
The international scientific committee includes seventeen members from various scientific disciplines (history, philosophy, economics, sociology, gender studies, archeology, etc…) who will be responsible for defining the contents of the volume, identifying potential contributors, validating the final contributions and supervising the production.
On the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of the African Union in Addis Ababa in May 2013, UNESCO organized a meeting of experts to identify the contemporary challenges for the future of the continent but also to revisit the historiography of Diasporas. The recommendations of this meeting as well as the contents review of the eight volumes of the GHA will define the committee’s discussions during the meeting in Brazil and should help to establish guidelines for the preparation of Volume IX of the GHA.
The Agenda of the first meeting of the Scientific Committee therefore includes the following items:
- Install the new Committee
- Prepare draft statutes and Internal Rules of procedure of the Committee
- Election of the Bureau of the Committee
- Determine the format of the publication and the target audience groups
- Dissemination and use of Volume IX
- Define the methodology for the development of Volume IX
- Discuss and set forth a detailed plan for updating the GHA based on its content review
- Develop a detailed plan and chapter scheme of the Volume (including all parts of the Volume)
- Identify the best experts to draft Volume IX
- Select the Editors
- Define a plan of action for six months following the meeting
- Presentation Note
- Provisional Agenda
- Members of the Scientific Committee for the Drafting of Volume IX (Fr)
- Strategic Report on the Project of the General History of Africa
- Content Review of the Volumes of the General History of Africa
- The Report of the Preparatory Meeting in Addis Ababa on the Drafting of Volume IX