INTERPOL - 7th Working Meeting on the Illicit Trafficking in Cultural Property Stolen in Central and Eastern Europe
Jurmala, Latvia, 8 - 10 October 2013
This meeting, which was organized by Interpol, aimed at exchanging information on legal aspects of the illicit trafficking of cultural property stolen in the Central and Eastern European region.
The following points were presented and discussed:
- INTERPOL’s role in the international prevention and combat against illicit traffic of cultural goods
- The role of UNESCO in the fight against the illicit trafficking and the importance of cooperation with the market;
- Recent developments in Latvia; Protection of Cultural Values in Latvia;
- Prevention of illicit trafficking of cultural property stolen in Latgale region, Latvia;
- Switzerland and Eastern Europe: Contact, Trends and Experiences;
- Practical experiences in fighting the theft and illicit trafficking of cultural property;
- The 1970 UNESCO and 1995 UNIDROIT Conventions: two complementary instruments;
- ICOM’s support in fighting illicit traffic in Central and Eastern Europe;
- The work of the UNODC on the illicit trafficking in cultural property;
- The ARCHEO Network of World Custom Organization and the presentation of a specific international operation in the field
- National Action Plan For the Prevention and Fight Against Trafficking of Works of Art and Culture in Albania.
The participants in the meeting were members of the police units of member countries from the region, as well as international experts from international organizations active in the field of the protection of cultural property.