Third Meeting of the Advisory Body
The third meeting of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Body took place at UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, on 19 April 2012.
The main issues discussed were:
- the importance of NGO accreditation and increased involvement of NGOs in the Advisory Body meetings;
- the identification and monitoring of emerging issues within underwater cultural heritage;
- the incorporation of underwater cultural heritage in educational initiatives;
- the importance of promoting virtual access initiatives in underwater cultural heritage;
- the international harmonization of licensing for scientific divers;
- the elaboration of guidelines for inventorying of underwater cultural heritage;
- the conclusion that the de-accessioning of artifacts from underwater cultural heritage in order to finance excavations is not consistent with the Rules of the 2001 Convention.