UNITWIN Network of Underwater Archaeology
UNESCO has for a long term endeavored to foster underwater archaeology, research and capacity building in the framework of its 2001 Convention. The 2001 Convention on the protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage improves the protection and research of submerged archaeological sites.
Now UNESCO has established a new University Twinning Programme (Unitwin) for Underwater Archaeology. It shall bring together universities teaching underwater archaeology and increase their cooperation.
The main objectives of the Cooperation Programme are to:
- promote research, training, information and documentation in the field of archaeology related to underwater cultural heritage;
- create an academic training network tasked with harmonizing teaching schedules and programmes;
- set up a common web portal to facilitate knowledge and information-sharing; organize regional and international conferences and seminars to promote the discipline and advance innovative research;
- carry out joint research projects; encourage inter-university cooperation; and, promote awareness on underwater cultural heritage and influencing cultural heritage policies.
The Universities that are part of the UNITWIN Network as Full Members are:
- Selçuk University, Antalya, Turkey
- University of Southern Denmark, Esbjerg, Denmark
- University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
- University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom
- Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
- University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
The Associate Members of the UNITWIN Network are:
- Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Tokyo, Japan
- University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
The Recognized partners of the UNITWIN Network are:
- Hemmenhofen Training Centre for Inland Water Archaeology, Hemmenhofen, Germany
Lead Institution: Selçuk University, Turkey
Contact: Dr. Hakan Oniz, Coordinator
Selcuk University, Faculty of Letters, Department of Archaeology Kampus, Konya Turkey
Phone Numbers: +90 542 874 1955 / +90 535 761 4252 / +90 332 2231373 / +90 332 2231373
Fax: +90 332 2411309
UNESCO Contact: Ulrike Guerin, CLT/CEH/CHP, u.guerin(at)unesco.org
1st Meeting of the UNESCO UNITWIN Network for Underwater Archaeology took place on 16-19 May, 2013 in Kemer, Antalya, Turkey.