A virtual library for 8 UEMOA countries under discussion in Dakar
The development of information technology and new mode of dissemination requires Higher Education and Research Institutions to adapt the information services they offer to students.
The need to establish a sub-regional virtual library has emerged as part of the PADTICE project by UEMOA and UNESCO, and combining resources will allow a greater impact of the proposed project.
"The idea is to build on local virtual libraries and unite them into a sub-regional library for the UEMOA countries," says Jean -Pierre Ilboudo, Regional Advisor for Communication and Information at UNESCO Regional Office in Dakar
The people in charge for the UEMOA Libraries
A workshop was held in Dakar (Senegal) from 11 to 12 April 2014 to bring together the heads of Libraries in eight UEMOA countries (Benin , Burkina Faso, Côte d' Ivoire, Guinea Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo). The workshop was organized at the School of Librarians, Archivists and Documentalists of Dakar (EBAD) which is a regional institution.
The workshop enabled the heads of library in UEMOA countries to discuss a number of issues, including :
- A status report on virtual libraries in the UEMOA countries
- A comparison of Integrated Management Systems of Libraries and recommendations
- A draft plan on the organization and functioning of the proposed sub-regional library
- A draft plan on the a framework for cooperation and a charter for the new regional library.
The participants agreed to select the Invenio software, an open source software developed by CERN, as the integrated management system for the library. They also approved the creation and organization of the network of university libraries.
The framework for the new regional library will be presented to the rectors at a meeting of REESAO, a network of excellence of higher education in West Africa), from 14-17 April 2014.
The meeting concluded with a need for training and IT support, in implementing and managing the new tools, as suggested by UNESCO.
The following people participated in the workshop:
- The Rector of the University of Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar, Professor Saliou Ndiaye
- Mr. Ilboudo , Regional Advisor for Communication and Information, UNESCO Regional Office in Dakar, who was representing the Director of the Office, Mrs. Ann Therese Ndong- Jatta
- The Director of EBAD , Mr. Diarra,
- The heads of libraries or their representatives from each of eight UEMOA countries,
- The project team at the EBAD for the implementation of the Digital Library.
<- Back to: Dynamic Content Single View