The mission of UNESCO Dakar in education is to support countries in strengthening their education and learning systems in pursuit of SDG4 as well as the education-related targets of other SDGs, in congruence with the African Union’s Agenda 2063 and the Continental Education Strategy for Africa (CESA-2016-2025).
UNESCO Dakar’s actions support countries in rethinking and re-envisioning education and training for all, contributing to peaceful, sustainable and healthy societies.
UNESCO Dakar intervenes at all levels and learning pathways, from early childhood to higher education including youth and adult literacy, and through formal, non-formal and informal education and learning. Its education programme and projects are implemented through three key modalities – analytical work, knowledge management and in-country interventions – and around five thematic clusters:
- Sector-wide policy and planning,
- Teaching and learning,
- ‘Learning to live together’ skills, values and attitudes,
- Skills for life and the world of work , and (5)HIV and Health education.
Furthermore, UNESCO Dakar coordinates the regional programme on HIV and health education in Western and Central Africa as well as three global thematic areas at the sub-Saharan Africa level:
- sector-wide policy and planning,
- technical and vocational education and training and
- global coordination, partnership and research for SDG4-Education 2030 Agenda.