Anti-doping: 13 new projects supported in the field
On Monday 8 April 2013, 13 new project proposals, totaling more than US$270,000, were approved by the Approval Committee for the UNESCO Fund for the Elimination of Doping in Sport during a private meeting that was held at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris (France). These 13 projects will bring the total number of national and international projects, supported by the Fund since its establishment in 2008, to 93 initiatives worth more than US$ 1.5 million.
The 13 projects that have been approved are:
- Upgrading and raising awareness of anti-doping (Aruba)
- Eliminating doping with the trainers of the Lagunes (Côte d’Ivoire)
- Anti-doping education for Barbados (Barbados)
- With Junior Ambassadors against doping (Slovenia)
- Empowering athletes through anti-doping education (Saint Lucia)
- Africa Zone VI Regional Anti-Doping Organization (RADO): education and capacity building project (Botswana – Regional Project)
- Leveling the playing field in the secondary school sector (Barbados – Regional Project)
- Anti-doping cascade training in Sudan (Sudan)
- National workshop on anti-doping in Malawi (Malawi)
- Building awareness and advocacy to eliminate doping in sport (Dominica)
- Play True training camp (Costa Rica)
- Educational orientation on prohibited substances and methods in sports, and on the Anti-Doping Control Programme (Nicaragua)
- ‘CLEAN SPORT’- National anti-doping education for under 18 junior athletes (Botswana)
Covering all regions of the world, these projects allow for the implementation of prevention programmes, the formulation of specific legislation against doping and the implementation of activities that strengthen capacities to fight against doping, especially in less developed countries. Here follows a regional breakdown of projects implemented to date:
- Africa (29 projects)
- Arab States (6 projects)
- Asia and the Pacific (9 projects)
- Europe and North America (14 projects)
- Latin America and the Caribbean (35 projects).
The members of the Approval Committee for the UNESCO Fund for the Elimination of Doping in sport for 2013 are Mr Gennady ALESHIN (Russian Federation), Mr Ahmad AL KHAZAL (Koweït), Mr Neil MURRELL (Barbados), Mr Constant ROUX (Côte d’Ivoire), Mr Bill ROWE (Australia) and Mr Joe VAN RYN (Canada).
<- Back to: UNESCO Office in Dhaka