The mission of the UNESCO Education Sector is to:
- provide international leadership to create learning societies with educational opportunities for all populations.
- provide expertise and foster partnerships to strengthen national educational leadership and the capacity of countries to offer quality education for all.
- work as an intellectual leader, an honest broker and clearing house for ideas, propelling both countries and the international community to accelerate progress towards these goals.
- facilitate the development of partnerships and monitors progress, in particular by publishing an annual Global Monitoring Report that tracks the achievements of countries and the international community towards the six Education for All goals.
The priorities of UNESCO’s Education Sector are determined by goals adopted by the UN and UNESCO and include:
- The six Education for All goals adopted in the Dakar Framework for Action 2000-2015
- The UN Millennium Development Goals, especially Goal 2 and Goal 3
- The UN Literacy Decade 2003-2012
- The UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development 2005-2014
- The EDUCAIDS Global Initiative on Education and HIV/AIDS