UNESCO’s Education Sector has the following strategic objectives to fulfil its mission:
- Capacity-building: to provide a platform for intellectual and thoughtful leadership for educational innovation and reform.
- Laboratory of ideas: to anticipate and respond to emerging trends and needs in education and develop education policy recommendations based on research evidence.
- International catalyst: to initiate and promote dialogue and exchange of information among educational leaders and stakeholders.
- Clearing house: to promote the development and implementation of successful educational practices and document and disseminate successful practices.
- Standard-setting: to develop Standards, Norms and Guidelines for action in key education areas.