The Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development has been created based on the fundamental conviction that education can help provide the answers to some of the greatest challenges of the 21st century, from poverty, conflict and deepening inequality to threats related to climate change and environmental degradation.
The Institute’s mission is to:
- strengthen the educational and knowledge base for promoting education for peace and sustainable development;
- contribute to meeting the peace education and sustainable development-related research and capacity-building needs of developing countries and countries in transition, with focus on the Asia-Pacific region.
The Institute’s key objectives will be to advocate, support and promote education for peace and sustainable development through:
- acting as a clearing house for analyzing and disseminating relevant research, case studies and good practice;
- facilitating related networks, building partnerships, and connecting knowledge communities;
- providing technical advice and supporting capacity-building needs of Member States within the Asia- Pacific Region.