For a definition of what "Recognized Higher Education Institution" means in Bulgaria:
Within the meaning of the Higher Education Law of 1995 accreditation in Bulgaria is recognition by the National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency of the right of HEIs to provide higher education in educational and qualification degrees in particular areas, professional fields and in majors of the regulated professions list through evaluation of the activities on preparation of specialists, enhancement of their qualification and the activities connected with the development of science, culture and innovation.
1. Higher education institutions recognized by competent authorities:
- Accredited higher educational institutions in Bulgaria
A list of the higher educational institutions accredited by the National evaluation and accreditation agency, which is the national competent authority for assessment and accrediting of the academic institutions and programmes in Bulgaria. Detailed information about the current and past institutional accreditation, the structural units, the accredited majors of each HEI.
Акредитирани институции (Bulgarian)
2. Higher education programmes recognized by competent authorities
- Accredited professional fields
Professional fields, accredited within the national HE system of Bulgaria. Summarizing reports for the different accredited professional fields and the higher schools concernerned.
Акредитация на професионални направления (Bulgarian)
3. Information for students planning to study in the country
- The pan-European Researcher's Mobility Portal- BULGARIA
The Bulgarian section of the pan-European Researcher's Mobility Portal provides detailed information about the national educational system, mobility opportunities, visa and residence information, housing, transport, communications, culture, work and leisure in Bulgaria.
БЪЛГАРИЯ ЗА УЧЕНИТЕ (Bulgarian)
- Education and training in Bulgaria
Practical information about Bulgaria. Education system; Foreign students in Bulgaria; Universities and colleges.
4. Information on higher education system
- Description of the education system
Structure of higher education in Europe- BULGARIA (PDF)
Detailed information about the national educational system
- Competent bodies
National evaluation and accreditation agency- NEAA
NEAA is the national competent authority for assessment and accrediting of the academic institutions and programmes in Bulgaria
НАЦИОНАЛНА АГЕНЦИЯ ЗА ОЦЕНЯВАНЕ И АКРЕДИТАЦИЯ (Bulgarian)
- Ministries/departments responsible for education
Ministry of Education and Science (Bulgarian)
5. Information on foreign credential assessment and recognition
- Description (procedures)
Recognition of higher education acquired in foreign universities
Bulgarian ENIC-NARIC centre. Academic recognition procedure. Regulatory framework. Applications for academic recognition. Required documents. Certification and Legalization. Certificates.
- Recognition of vocational qualifications. Regulated professions in Bulgaria.
Regulatory Organization. Vocational Recognition Procedure. Regulated Professions. Information System of the Internal Market (IMI).
Recognition of vocational qualifications (English/Bulgarian)
- Competent bodies
National centre for academic recognition and mobility (National ENIC-NARIC centre)
The Bulgarian ENIC-NARIC centre: functions and activities. Applying for academic recognition in Bulgaria. Description of the documents, necessary for applying for academic recognition of higher education completed in foreign HEIs. Procedure- organised by the National Centre for Information and Documentation.
List of the regulated professions in Bulgaria
List of the regulated professions in Bulgaria and the authorities competent to take decisions concerning acquiring/recognizing the right of pursuing the respective profession.
Internal Market Information System (IMI) in Bulgaria
The Internal Market Information System (IMI) in Bulgaria. About IMI. Legal Framework. Key Participants in the IMI. National Structure of IMI. Functions of NACID as a Delegated IMI coordinator for the legislative area of Directive 2005/36/EC.
6. Information on financial assistance opportunities
- For national students planning to study abroad
Information about student loans, grants, fellowships, internships and awards with regard to mobility opportunities at the site of the Ministry of Education and Science.
Loan information for students and graduates (Bulgarian)
Detailed information about job and mobility opportunities, free assistance and services to researchers and their families who are planning to study and work abroad.
- For international students planning to study in the country
The pan-European Researcher's Mobility Portal- BULGARIA
Detailed information about the national educational system, mobility opportunities, visa and residence information, etc. in Bulgaria.
БЪЛГАРИЯ ЗА УЧЕНИТЕ (Bulgarian)
Education and training programmes
Extensive information about education and training programmes at the site of the Representation of the European Commission in Bulgaria.
Образователни програми (Bulgarian)
European Youth Portal
An initiative of the European Commission. Information about the opportunities for studying throughout Europe.
Европейски младежки портал (Bulgarian)
A non-governmental, non-religious and non-political organization.
St. Cyril and St. Methodius International Foundation
International, non-governmental, non-profit organization with headquarters located in Sofia, supporting Bulgarian citizens on a number of specific programmes, projects and activities.
Международна фондация “Св.Св. Кирил и Методий” (Bulgarian)
7. Cross-border higher education
- According to § 4. (2) of the Higher Education Law of 1995 Bulgarian higher schools can open in their structures basic units together with foreign higher schools by the order of that law in compliance with international agreements or agreements with foreign higher schools.
8. National information centre
- Национален център за информация и документация (НАЦИД) / National centre for information and documentation (NACID)
A leading institution of the national information infrastructure of Bulgaria in the field of education, science, and innovation. National ENIC-NARIC centre. Contact point for Professional Recognition under Directive 2005/36/EC. Delegated coordinator for Bulgaria within the Internal Market Information System of the EC (IMIS).
9. Other information sources
- Links to portals and organizations in the field of education in Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
Higher Education Law (DOC)
Fulltext of the Higher Education Law of 1995 in English, containing the whole set of provisions on the system and structure of the higher education in Bulgaria.