Bosnia and Herzegovina
For a definition of what "Recognized Higher Education Institution" means in Bosnia and Herzegovina:
The higher education institutions in Bosnia and Herzegovina shall include universities
and higher schools.
The term “university” shall be limited to the higher education institutions involved in both lecturing
and research work, offering academic degrees in all of the three cycles.
The term “higher school” shall be limited to the higher education institutions accredited to issue diplomas and degrees of the first cycle.
1. Higher education institutions recognized by competent authorities
2. Higher education programmes recognized by competent authorities
- List of recognized higher education programmes
All study programmes, as well as all higher education institutions in Bosnia and Herzegovina, must undergo an evaluation process in order to be accredited for operation in Bosnia and Herzegovina. A web link will be available soon
3. Information for students planning to study in the country
4. Information on higher education system
- Description of the education system:
The higher education shall be organized in three cycles:
- the first cycle leads to the academic title of completed graduate study (the degree of Bachelor) or an equivalent.
- the second cycle leads to the academic title of master or an equivalent, acquired following the completed graduate study, it lasts for one or two years, and it is valuated with 60 or 120 ECTS credits.
So that combined with the first cycle it would make up to 300 ECTS credits.
- the third cycle leads to the academic title of doctor or an equivalent, it lasts for three years and is valuated with 180 ECTS credits.
- Ministries/departments responsible for education
Ministry of Civil Affairs of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnian)
Federal Ministry of Education and Science
- Quality assurance
Agency for Development of Higher Education and Quality Assurance
5. Information on foreign credential assessment and recognition
- Recognition procedure
The recognition procedure in the Republic of Serbia is prescribed by Law of Higher Education while in Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina the recognition procedure is prescribe by cantonal laws in higher education and laws of the Conversion and Equivalence of Foreign Education Documents.
- Description (procedures)
Laws of the Entities, Cantons and Brčko District of the B&H
- Competent bodies
Centre for Information and Recognition of Qualifications in Higher Education
6. Information on financial assistance opportunities
- For national students planning to study abroad:
Scholarships to study abroad: Studirajvani (Bosnian)
CEEPUS Office Bosnia and Herzegovina
World University Service Bosnia and Herzegovina (SUS)
- For international students planning to study in the country:
7. Cross-border higher education:
- Not available
8. National information centre
9. Other information sources