1. Higher education institutions recognized by competent authorities
- List of recognized higher education institutions in China
The latest update on the May 23th, 2011 by the Chinese Ministry of Education
2. Higher education programmes recognized by competent authorities
- List of undergraduate programmes (Chinese)
- List of postgraduate programmes (Chinese)
- List of English-taught programmes in Chinese Higher Education Institutions
- List of China-foreign joinly run programmes (Chinese)
The latest update on the August 11th, 2011 by the Chinese Ministry of Education
3. Information for students planning to study in the country
- Overall situation of studying in China for international students
The Chinese Ministry of Education has released an overview of studying in China for international students.
- Government scholarships
The China Scholarship Council is legally authorised by the Chinese government to provide financial assistance to the foreign citizens wishing to study in China and to the Chinese citizens wishing to study abroad.
- Self-funded studies
The Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange is a legally registered corporate body affiliated to the Chinese Ministry of Education, specializing in offering a full range of services for international scholarly exchanges, including both Chinese students and scholars going abroad, returning from abroad and international students and scholars coming to study in China.
4. Information on the higher education system
- Description of the education system:
Description of China's Education system
- Competent bodies:
The Chinese Ministry of Education
- Ministries/departments responsible for education:
Department of Higher Education
Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges
- Quality assurance mechanisms:
The Chinese Ministry of Education
The MOE is responsible for quality assurance of Chinese Higher Education.
Higher Education Evaluation Center of Ministry of Education
The HEEC is established by the Chinese Ministry of Education in 2004 to organize and implement the evaluation of baccalaureate degree programs and associate degree programs offered in institutions of higher education.
China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center
The CDGDC is entrusted by the Chinese Ministry of Education and the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council to evaluate and appraise the academic degrees and postgraduate education.
5. Information on foreign credential assessment and recognition
The CSCSE is jointly approved by the Chinese Ministry of Education and the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council in 2000 to provide foreign credential assessment service to both Chinese and foreign students holding degree certificates and diplomas awarded by overseas institutions of higher education.
- Procedures and Criteria
The CSCSE has published procedures and criteria for the assessment of overseas higher education qualifications on its website.
- Competent body
The CSCSE is the sole national authority to evaluate foreign academic qualifications of higher education for official recognition in China.
- List of Agreements on Mutual Recognition of Academic Degrees and Credentials in Higher Education between China and other countries
6. Information on financial assistance opportunities
- Application for the Scholarship of Chinese Government
The China Scholarship Council offers the Chinese Government Scholarship programmes and some special scholarship programmes.
7. Cross-border higher education
- The Supervision and Management of Cross-border Higher Education Information Website
The JSJ website is developed by the Division of Supervision and Management of the Department of International Cooperation and Exchange of the Chinese Ministry of Education to release information related to cross-border higher education in China.
- The Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange
8. National information centre
9. Other information sources
- Study in China is a website designed by the CSCSE to provide the prospective international students with general information on study in China, including Chinese higher education institutions, application procedures, HSK and Chinese language learning, life in Chinese universities etc.
10. Definitions of key terms
- Higher Education is defined by the Higher Education Law of People’s Republic of China as the education provided after the secondary education.
- Higher Education Institutions in China means universities, approved independent colleges and research institutes, and higher specialized institutions, including adult higher education institutions and higher institutions of professional studies.