For a definition of what "Recognized Higher Education Institution" means in Latvia:
A recognized higher education institution must be listed in the Register of Education Institutions and must have valid accreditation.
1. Higher education institutions recognized by competent authorities:
- Accredited higher education institutions in Latvia
Universities, academies, university type higher education institutions (all types of programmes possible) and colleges (only 1st level professional programmes allowed).
Akreditētās augstskolas un koledžas (Latvian)
2. Higher education programmes recognized by competent authorities
- List of accredited programmes in Latvia
Academic and professional, bachelor, master, doctor programmes.
Akreditētas programmas, pēc mācību iestādes (Latvian)
3. Information for students planning to study in the country
4. Information on higher education system
- Description of the education system
The system of higher education in Latvia is binary. The objectives of academic higher education (HE) are to prepare graduates for an independent research, as well as to provide theoretical background for professional activities.
Graphic Charter of education system in Latvia
- Ministries/departments responsible for education
Ministry of Education and Science
- Quality assurance mechanisms
Higher Education Quality Evaluation Centre (HEQEC)
HEQEC is a foundation established in 1994 and governed jointly by the Ministry of Education and Science and 5 leading universities of Latvia. This organization is in charge of the necessary accreditations and evaluations for higher education institutions and study programmes.
5. Information on foreign credential assessment and recognition
- Description (procedures)
Recognition is needed when the person would like to continue studies in Latvia or work in a non-regulated profession. Person should submit originals or certified copies of his/her educational documents and diploma supplement (transcript of records) to the Academic Information Centre (AIC). If necessary translations and legalization can be asked.
Academic Information Centre
- Competent bodies
Academic Information Centre (AIC)
The Academic Information Centre (AIC) is a foundation established in 1994 and governed jointly by he Ministry of Education and Science and the University of Latvia’s Institute of Mathematic and Computer Science.
6. Information on financial assistance opportunities
- For national students planning to study abroad
Study fund (Latvian)
It participates in students’ loan policy and provides national study loans.
7. Cross-border higher education
- Not available
8. National information centre
- Academic Information Centre (Latvian ENIC/NARIC)
The Academic Information Centre (AIC) is a foundation established in 1994 and governed jointly by he Ministry of Education and Science and the University of Latvia’s Institute of Mathematic and Computer Science. The main objectives of the AIC are to provide information and to ensure Latvia’s participation in education networks of the European Union, and UNESCO.