For a definition of what "Recognized Higher Education Institution" means in Uruguay:
1. Higher education institutions recognized by competent authorities:
- List of recognized higher education institutions in Uruguay (Spanish)
Online directory of all university institutions that are recognized by the competent jurisdictional authorities in Uruguay. It is managed by the Ministry of Education and Culture through the Area of Higher Education with information provided by the University Policies Secretariat. The area of higher education is the department of the Direction of Education, which is responsible for issues related to institutions of tertiary and universitary education with private management.
2. Higher education programmes recognized by competent authorities
- List of recognized higher education programmes in Uruguay (Spanish)
Online directory of programs may give you information about where and what to study in Uruguay. There are different types of institutions: universities and university institutes: private, public.
3. Information for students planning to study in the country
- For foreign students (Spanish)
This section provides information to those who want to enter the “Universidad de la República” to study a program. To be able to enter the “Universidad de la República”, a foreign student must fulfil cumulatively the following requirements.
4. Information on higher education system
- Information on the Education system in Uruguay (Spanish)
Higher education in Uruguay is organized in a system based on separation of competencies of public and private institutions. In practice, the university offer from the Universidad de la Republica, the only existing public university, was a monopoly until 1984.
5. Information on foreign credential assessment and recognition
- Information on recognition of studies realized in foreign countries (Spanish)
The document issued by an educational institution abroad must follow a similar procedure to the one that takes place in Uruguay, in the country of origin with the requirements of each country. The procedure finishes abroad with the certification of signatures made by the Uruguayan Consulate in that country.
6. Information on financial assistance opportunities
- Information about opportunities for financial support (Spanish)
At this moment there are no opportunities for financial support for foreign students offered by the Uruguayan government.
7. Cross-border higher education
- Transnational higher education (Spanish)
At present there are no foreign institutions authorized to operate in the country.
8. National information centre
- Information systems and university statistics (Spanish)
The department of statistics is the Coordinator Office of the statistics of the Education Sector of the National Statistical System.
9. Other information sources
- On Institutions in Uruguay (Spanish)
Portfolio of institutions related to university education in Uruguay.
10. Definitions of key terms
- Definitions (Spanish)
In the Uruguayan education system, it is common to find diversity of definitions to refer to institutions that are integrated at the level of tertiary, higher or university education.