The sustainability of any literacy action depends on good capacity at country level.
UNESCO works with policy-makers, planners, programme managers and implementers to ensure effective and sustainable policy development and programme-delivery. Capacity-building activities are conducted in the following areas:
- planning and management
- curriculum development and designing materials
- training of trainers and facilitators
- learner performance assessment
- monitoring and evaluation
- network and partnership- building among key national actors, including the facilitation of South-South and North-South cooperation.
UNESCO works with national governments in identifying their needsand strengthening the capacity of stakeholders involved in literacy provision, both at individual and institutional levels. This is mainly achieved through the Capacity Development for Education for All Programme (CapEFA).