Are you a vague supporter of SD or a real expert? Sustainable development is a buzz word: everyone uses it, but it’s not so easy to define clearly. Test your knowledge of this concept and why it is such a vital issue.
Does my lifestyle threaten biodiversity?
- Yes, I accelerate the extinction rate of species on this planet
- No, I meet my needs through local sustainable subsistence
How are human rights relevant to sustainable development?
- They are a separate concern
- They are an essential component
What are our civic duties to ESD?
- Sustainable development depends upon an active citizenry
- We have none
- To follow those around us
If we don't change our lifestyles who will be the first and hardest hit?
- People living in affluent nations
- The world’s poor
- Arctic nations
If greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise at the same pace, the world will face a
- 3°C temperature rise this century (against 0.74C for the past century)
- 2.6°C temperature rise this century (against 0.74C for the past century)
- 4°C temperature rise this century (against 0.74C for the past century)
What can we do to mitigate impact of climate change?
- Act individually, with small changes, but also at social and political levels
- Cross our fingers and hope that politicians will make good decisions
The Kyoto Protocol sets out to
- Make education for sustainable development a priority in the UN
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissionsFight deforestation
Which one of the following components is needed in a new thinking to reach SD, according to the Club of Rome?
- Intellectual caution on touchy environmental issues
- Saving and expecting less material goods and pleasures
How should we react to sceptics who claim that the climate change issue is being exaggerated?
- Ignore them
- Give a balanced credit to their opinionListen to their case, but act none the less for SD
What is the global value of nature?
- 40% of the global economy comes from nature
- 30% of the global economy comes from nature
- 37% of the global economy comes from nature
Check your answers.Back to top