The UN Inter-Agency Committee (IAC) for the DESD is a forum of UN agencies for open-ended collaboration towards the effective implementation of the Decade. The IAC promotes the role of ESD and its implications for all forms of international initiatives such as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
The IAC aims to:
- share a common vision, principles and values on ESD and ensure DESD visibility as a common objective and agenda for the UN system;
- share programmes and plans in order to encourage mutual reinforcement and avoid duplication or overlap within the UN system;
- share good practices and lessons learned and coordinate ongoing activities to further advocate for the Decade;
- harmonize approaches to ESD and sustainable development practices within each organization;
- provide a forum for agencies to integrate the insights and perspectives of other international actors into their ESD agenda;
- provide an international platform to ensure high visibility of the challenges and progress of ESD as well as maximum impact of ESD initiatives.
The IAC brings together 22 UN agencies all committed to achieving the DESD goals: UNESCO, FAO, ILO, UNAIDS, UNDP, UNEP, UNFPA, UN Global Compact, UN-Habitat, UNHCR, UNICEF, UN-ISDR, UNITAR, UNU, WFP, WHO, World Bank, WTO, UNCCD, UNCBD, UNFCCC and UNDESA.
Back to top