One of the missions of UNESCO is to assist countries in building institutional capacities in its fields of competence.
UNESCO, through its networked central units, institutes and field offices, provides a variety of capacity-building services within the ministries in charge of education and training as well as for the benefit of various national stakeholders.
In the field of educational policies and strategies, the current focus is placed on strengthening national capacities to design coherent policies and credible development plans within the framework of EFA.
The areas of capacity-building include, among others:
- Education management information systems;
- Education sector analyses and policy assessment;
- Education policy formulation;
- Policy simulation and resource projection techniques;
- Educational expenditure and finance frameworks;
- Macro-economic frameworks;
- Monitoring and evaluation mechanism;
- SWAps and donor coordination.
In response to countries' requests for support in these areas, UNESCO has organized a series of training workshops on policy development, simulation, planning and implementation.