Call for entries! "World Heritage in your Hands" Art Contest
Ha Noi, 20 November - This week we celebrate Viet Nam’s National Day for Heritage (23 November), the National Day for Education (17 November) and 40 years of the World Heritage Convention (November 2012). To celebrate these events UNESCO Ha Noi, together with Panasonic Viet Nam, is inviting young people who live near World Heritage sites to participate in an art contest.
The contest encourages young people to reflect upon the importance of World Heritage sites and celebrate the preservation of these sites for future generations.
An opening ceremony was organized today at Trung Vuong Secondary School in Ha Noi to launch the contest nationwide.
The World Heritage Convention is the most widely ratified international treaty for cultural and natural heritage preservation. This year, on its 40th anniversary, the Convention specifically celebrates sustainable development and the role of local communities.
Due to changing demographics, growing inequalities and diminishing resources, the relationship between heritage conservation and sustainable development is more important than ever. World Heritage is crucial to sustainable development, the physical and spiritual well-being of communities and to building mutual understandings and peace.
Each participant should create a colorful and unique artwork that depicts the Viet Nam World Heritage site that they live close to. These are the sites to choose from:
Judging and Prizes:
- Winning entries representing each of the 7 World Heritage sites in Viet Nam will be chosen by a panel of international experts in communication, culture, education and the arts.
- The winning entries will be professionally printed on a variety of exciting products and sold to support the preservation of World Heritage sites.
- A prize will also be given to the winning entry from each age group.
- Outstanding entries from each age group will also receive official UNESCO certificates of merit.
Images will be judged on:
- Quality and legibility
- Representation of the site
- Artwork should be colorful and detailed so it tells a story without text
- The artwork should be no larger than A4 size and no smaller than standard post card size
Maximum: 21.0 cm (width) x 29.7cm (length)
Minimum: 9 cm (width) x 14 cm (length)
- All contestants must attach a COMPLETED REGISTRATION FORM with the artwork
- Click here to download Registration Form in English
- Click here to download Registration Form in Vietnamese
All winning entries will be credited and may be reprinted by UNESCO Ha Noi, the United Nations in Viet Nam and World Heritage Management Boards in publications, presentations, websites, documents and promotional materials related to the work of UNESCO, the United Nations and World Heritage preservation without any compensation, notification or permission. Proceeds from sales of products bearing competition images will support the ongoing preservation of World Heritage in Viet Nam.
Who is eligible?
Contestants must be 18 years of age or under.
Each participant may submit only ONE entry.
How to submit?
- Handmade artwork should be submitted in hard copy only, i.e. no photographs or scanned images
- If the artwork was created digitally it must be submitted on a CD
Please send hard copies of your entries to the UNESCO Ha Noi Office:
UNESCO Ha Noi Office
23 Cao Ba Quat, Ha Noi
All entries must be received by Friday, 1 February 2013.
For more information, please contact: tt.thuy(at)unesco.org / 04 37470275
<- Back to: UNESCO Office in Ha Noi