UNESCO, ILO and FAO organize a joint workshop on sustainable tourism in Hoi An
Hoi An, Quang Nam, 22 November - Today, a two-day workshop on promoting sustainable tourism to increase local community benefit in Quang Nam province opened in Hoi An Ancient Town. The event is co-organized by the Quang Nam Provincial People’s Committee and three UN Agencies, UNESCO, ILO and FAO.
The workshop will include discussion on the development of a joint brand for community-benefit tourism products, the re-design and strengthening of visitor information centres, introduction of innovative and culturally appropriate tourism packages, and identifying areas in need of future support. A collection of newly developed locally made handicrafts will also be exhibited.
The first day will be facilitated by QUO, a renowned international strategic Branding and Communications company specializing in the travel, tourism and hospitality industries. QUO will assist the diverse stakeholders in developing strategic branding guidelines for locally made products aimed at the tourist market. The joint brand for signature products will emphasise the regions’ unique identity and encourage tourists to buy locally made products.
The second day involves in-depth consultation with representatives from local craft and agricultural villages, including Hoi An lanterns, Kim Bong woodcarving, Catu brocade weavers, Hiep Duc rattan weavers, Tien Phuoc producers, and Thanh Ha and Duy Xuyen pottery. In addition, representatives from the private sector, such as hotels and souvenir shops, will also be consulted. Discussion will focus on product development, marketing and sales strategies, site ticketing, and tourist information provision.
This two-day workshop is significant because of the constructive and innovative partnerships between wide-ranging groups of stakeholders. Participation includes representatives from local communities, provincial departments, all three UN organizations active in Quang Nam, the EU funded project Environmental and Social Responsible Tourism and the private sector. It is envisaged that the coordinated working relationship between these groups will increase the benefits from tourism to the local community.
The workshop forms part of activities under the following projects:
- Promoting Craft Village Tourism in Quang Nam Province project supported by Korean Funds-In-Trust and UNESCO Ha Noi. This project is supporting local communities to improve their livelihoods, promote tourism while preserving the traditional cultural values.
- Promoting World Heritage site sin Viet Nam project supported by Asiana Airlines and UNESCO Hanoi. The project is promoting the World Heritage sites in Central Viet Nam to international and domestic visitors through active involvement of Management Boards and local communities living in and around the sites.
- Strengthening Inland Tourism in Quang Nam project is funded by the Government of Luxembourg and is supported by the International Labour Organization. The project is developing pro-poor tourism related value chains in inland Quang Nam in cooperation with government and local communities.
- Market-oriented Agro-Forestry to Reduce Poverty in Quang Nam Province project is supported by Cooperazione Italiana and Food and Agricultural Organization.
- The International Labour Organization (ILO) and Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), 2 United Nations agencies, supporting market access and product development assistance to ethnic minority and agricultural communities in the western areas of the province. New innovative products developed through the project are aimed at the tourism sector.
For further information, please contact:
Quang Nam Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism
2 Tran Phu Street, Tam Ky city, Quang Nam province
Tel: 05103. 859 789
UNESCO Culture Unit,
23 Cao Ba Quat Street, Ha Noi
Tel: 04.3747 0275
ILO Strengthening of Inland Tourism in Quang Nam project:
08 Tran Hung Dao Street, Tam Ky City, Quang Nam province
Tel: (05103) 814 079
Market-Oriented Agro-forestry to Reduce Poverty in Quang Nam Province
119 Hung Vuong, Tam Ky, Quang Nam
Tel: 0510 3829669