Vacancies at the UNESCO Viet Nam Office in Ha Noi
Consultant for School-Related Gender-Based Violence
UNESCO in Viet Nam is seeking a highly qualified Consultant who, under the authority of the Head of Office and of the Coordinator for the Education Sector, will manage programmes on education, with a focus on comprehensive sexuality education, school-related gender-based violence, gender equality and HIV and AIDS, assisting with planning, implementation and results based-reporting with the Ministry of Education and Training, responding to the priority needs of Viet Nam.
The Consultant will support country-level advocacy activities to advance use of evidence in policy and decision-making and strengthen joint United Nations and national responses on these priority issues. The Consultant will:
- Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Education and Training and other national bodies, including civil society organizations, to develop or strengthen relevant education policy and strategy development, standard setting and programming.
- Represent UNESCO in appropriate coordination forums, inter-agency meetings and thematic meetings, and support country-level advocacy activities to advance use of evidence and strengthen joint UN and national responses.
- Liaise with UNESCO structures, including UNESCO headquarters, the UNESCO Regional Office for Education in Bangkok, and other colleagues in the country office to align with UNESCO’s institutional position and to support further resource mobilization for UNESCO programmes in these fields.
- Communicate the outcomes of UNESCO work in these areas, providing inputs for the website, press releases, speeches, presentations, and reports and supporting results-based monitoring, evaluation and reporting on compliance of assigned scope of work indicating progress towards expected results and One Plan outputs.
- Integrate gender equality and cultural diversity perspective, and human rights-based approach in programme/activity design, implementation and reporting and provide assistance towards a cross-sectoral approach with Culture, Science and Communications and Information sectors.
DURATION OF CONTRACT
6 months until end December 2016 subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
- An advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in a relevant field (HIV programme management, communications, education, sociology, public health, epidemiology or population studies).
- At least three years of relevant work experience in a similar function.
- Strong understanding of the country and region and a clear understanding of development work.
- Relevant professional knowledge and experience in HIV and human rights, with significant technical expertise and experience in at least one of the priority portfolio areas (school-related gender-based violence, comprehensive sexuality education, and adolescent and young key populations).
- Experience in multiple areas would be an advantage.
- Excellent organizational, networking and partnership building skills, tact and discretion.
- Ability to work to deadlines with minimal supervision and in a self-motivated manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent knowledge and drafting skills in English and Vietnamese.
How to apply:
To apply please send your application directly to the UNESCO Ha Noi Office, 23 Cao Ba Quat Street, Ba Dinh District Ha Noi, VIET NAM or by Email: email@example.com. Candidates must send application letter and resume using UNESCO application form, in English, indicating their nationality, date of birth and sex.
Application files will have to reach UNESCO Ha Noi before 10 June 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from developing countries.
International Consultant on Gender Equality
UNESCO Viet Nam, a member of the One United Nations Team, is seeking a qualified, service-oriented and proactive professional to serve as an International Consultant on Gender Equality.
The consultancy will consist of 30 days of primarily home-based work from mid-May to mid-September 2016 and will also include brief in-country work where the consultant will engage with counterparts and partners during meetings and workshops in Ha Noi, Viet Nam.
Under the overall authority of the Head of Office of UNESCO Ha Noi and under the technical supervision of the Education Programme Coordinator, within the MOET and UNESCO Initiative on Gender Equality and Girls’ Education in Viet Nam: Empowering girls and women for a more equal society, the selected candidate will:
- Provide a technical analysis and review of key deliverables produced by counterparts for quality validation and necessary refinement, ensuring that gender equality and gender responsiveness are mainstreamed throughout the products in line with international norms and standards.
- In coordination with the UNESCO team, provide technical inputs and guidance for final working sessions with counterparts and authorities towards the finalization of key deliverables.
- Provide technical backstopping and capacity building to UNESCO staff for implementing Gender Equality in Initiative activities and deliverables.
- Ensure the integration of gender equality, cultural appropriateness perspective, and a human rights-based approach in Initiative products and deliverables.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in Education or Gender-related Studies.
- Formal training in gender mainstreaming and gender analysis.
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in designing, implementing, monitoring or evaluating gender-specific or gender mainstreaming programmes, policies or legislation; gender policy analysis; gender in education; or gender responsive results-based management (RBM).
- At least four (4) years of the professional experience should have been acquired at the international level, preferably in an international or governmental organization and/or at a relevant research institution.
- Proven knowledge and experience in promoting women’s rights, women’s empowerment and gender equality in a global context.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and advocacy skills.
- Capacity to collaborate and positively engage with a range of partners and beneficiaries, including national/local authorities as well as key stakeholders in civil society, national and international NGOs.
- Familiarity with the political, social and cultural context of the country and region, especially in regard to gender equality and gender issues.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Doctorate degree in Education or Gender-related Studies.
- Experience working with government representatives and officials.
- Experience in related fields, with a particular focus in the Asia Pacific Region.
- Professional experience in developing and facilitating trainings, particularly on Gender and/or Education, would be a significant asset.
- Knowledge of the functioning of international organizations and/or the UN system.
- Working knowledge of Vietnamese would be an asset.
- Knowledge of other official UN languages.
How to apply:
A letter of motivation in English indicating qualifications and experience relevant to the position, together with completed UN Personal History form (P11) and CV, should be sent to the following address to:
UNESCO Ha Noi Office
23 Cao Ba Quat Street, Ha Noi
Temporary Culture Programme Assistant
Since 2015, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) has been supporting the Council of Ethnic Minority Affairs with the integration of anthropological approach in development through curriculum development, capacity building and sharing of good practices. The development of the anthropological/ culturally appropriate approach in ethnic minority policies and programmes continues to be a priority in the 2016 programmes and activities of UNESCO Culture programming.
The UNESCO Ha Noi Office is seeking a candidate for the position of Temporary Culture Programme Assistant to support the Culture Programme Coordinator and the culture team in this particular area of work and related administrative tasks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall direction and direct supervision of Culture Programme Coordinator, the incumbent will assist the Culture team at the UNESCO Ha Noi Office with the following tasks:
- Liaise with the focal points of the Council for Ethnic Minority Affairs and relevant counterparts to coordinate the implementation of all relevant project activities in accordance with the joint workplan including organizing workshops, missions and handling the administration of contracts
- Assist the Lead Consultant in delivering technical assistance to the working group of the Council of Ethnic Minority Affairs including organizing capacity building sessions and coordinating inputs of the Lead Consultant and relevant partners for all policy research and materials produced by the working group;
- Assist in the preparation of a wide variety of administrative and financial documents and reports (estimates, budgets, justifications, etc.) for the Culture team in close cooperation with the Administrative Officer;
- Draft correspondence, memos and inputs for reports on Culture programmes;
- Maintain the Culture filing (hard-copies and on the office server) and relevant databases, including ensuring regular inputs into databases based on the information provided by the Culture team;
- Assist with the dissemination of and follow-up on various publications, and participate in relevant advocacy and awareness raising activities related to UNESCO Culture programming;
- Coordinate with the Culture officers and collect their inputs for the UNESCO Ha Noi website and for press releases;
- Assist with monitoring and reporting on the assigned activities, ensuring compliance with Results Based Management;
- Ensure the integration of a gender equality, cultural diversity and human rights-based approach in programme/activity design, implementation and reporting, where relevant;
- Perform any other tasks as deemed appropriate by the Head of the UNESCO Ha Noi Office and the Culture Programme Coordinator.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Educational background: University degree in anthropology or development studies.
- Experience in working with international organisations required;
- Previous experience in conducting anthropological research;
- Knowledge about national government structure and line ministries, as well as knowledge about cultural and social policies is an asset;
- Knowledge of UNESCO programming and of the UN system would be an asset.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Fluency in verbal and written English and Vietnamese.
- Good organizational skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong team-work and multi-tasking skills;
- Good level of computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, Power Point).
The position is for the period from June to December 2016.
How to apply:
A letter of motivation in English indicating qualifications and experience relevant to the position, together with completed UN Personal History form (P11) and CV, should be sent to the following address before 23 May 2016 to:
UNESCO Ha Noi Office
23 Cao Ba Quat Street, Ha Noi
UNESCO is committed to promoting gender equality. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for written test and interview.Back to top