Dr Mustafa Cerić, Grand Mufti of Bosnia, and Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, President emeritus of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace
"The 2003 Félix Houphouët-Boigny Peace Prize has been conferred to Cardinal Roger Etchegaray and Dr Mustafa Cerić, Grand Mufti of Bosnia, in recognition of their action in favour of inter-faith dialogue, tolerance and peace. The Jury believes inter-faith dialogue is fundamental in the mutual understanding among peoples and nations. It is, thus, one of the great challenges of our age."
NB: The videos below are available in French only.
- Address by Mr Alioune Traoré, Executive Secretary of the Prize:
- Address by Mr Henri Konan Bédié, former President of the Republic of Côte Ivoire, Sponsor of the Prize:
- Address by Mr Jean Foyer, Vice-President of the Jury, announcing the 2003 prizewinners:
- Addresses by Dr Mustafa Cerić, Grand Mufti of Bosnia and Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, President Emeritus of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, 2003 Prizewinners:
The Award Ceremony was held on 21 September 2004, at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, and was attended by several personalities including:
- Mr Henri Konan Bédié, former President of the Republic of Côte Ivoire, Sponsor of the Prize ;
- Mr Pierre Messmer, former French Prime Minister ;
- Mr Alassane Dramane Ouattara, former Prime Minister under President Félix Houphouët-Boigny ;
- Mr Pierre Mazeaud, President of the French “Conseil Constitutionnel” ;
- Mr Jean-Claude Gaudin, former Minister, Vice-President of the French Senate, Mayor of Marseille ;
- Dr Abdelouahed Belkeziz, Secretary-General of the Organization of the Islamic Conference ;
- Dr Abdulaziz Othmam Altwaijri, Director-General of the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ISESCO) ;
- Mr Mongi Bousnina, Director-General of the Arab League Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (ALECSO) ;
- Ms Nomasanto-Maria Sibanda-Thusi, representing the President of the South African Republic ;
- Mr Jean Foyer, Vice-President of the Jury ;
- Mr Mário Soares, member of the Jury and former President of Portugal ;
- Mr Iba Der Thiam, member of the Jury ;
- Mr Andreas Ǻdahl, member of the Jury ;
- Mr Koïchiro Matsuura, Director General of UNESCO ;
- Mr Alioune Traoré, Executive Secretary of the Prize.
All use of photos is subject to the authorization of the Executive Secretariat of the Félix Houphouët-Boigny Peace Prize (UNESCO).Back to top