International Fund for Higher Education in Iraq
Since 2003, UNESCO has been supporting the revitalization of the Iraqi higher education system within the framework of the International Fund for Higher Education, through a USD 15 million donation by Her Highness Sheikha Moza Bint Nasser, First Lady of Qatar and UNESCO Special Envoy for Basic and Higher Education.
Since, UNESCO has implemented the following projects:
- Procurement of Scientific Laboratory Equipment to 12 faculties in Baghdad, Mosul and Hilla (more specifically to Medical, Science, Pharmacy, Nursing, Veterinary and Science colleges)
- Procurement of 10,500 Textbooks covering 240 titles for Higher Education Institutions in Iraq (10 universities in Iraq). Delivery was completed before the academic year 2005-2006.
- Procurement of 7,000 Library Reference Books covering 850 titles to Four Main Universities in Iraq.
- Procurement of Laboratory Equipment to 6 Engineering Departments
- US$ 3,500,000 worth of computers
- US$ 1,400,000 worth of internet centres
- US$ 1,600,000 for dormitories equipment
- 200 UNESCO Arabic publications on open education and Information and Communication Technologies