Programme Assistant for Education for Sustainable Development
Post title: Programme Assistant for Education for Sustainable Development
Unit: Education Unit, UNESCO Office, Jakarta
Grade: Equal to G6
Starting Date: April 2014
Duty Station: Jakarta
Contract Type: Service Contract
Period of appointment: 1 year with three months’ probationary period
Closing date of applications: 9 March 2014
I. Description of Responsibilities:Under the authority of the Director of UNESCO Office, Jakarta and under direct supervision of the Head of Education Unit, the incumbent shall serve as Programme Assistant for Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) of UNESCO Office, Jakarta. The incumbent shall undertake the following tasks:
- Assist planning, managing implementation, monitoring, evaluating, reporting and disseminating results of Education for Sustainable Development activities.
- Assist drafting project proposals, concept notes, briefing notes, keynote speeches, annual work plan and other substantive documents of Education for Sustainable Development activities
- Assist drafting six-monthly implementation status reports for Sustainable Development activities and uploading in ED Intranet SharePoint.
- Assist monitoring, evaluating, reporting/drafting and disseminating results of the Regular Programme and Extra-Budgetary project activities such as ESD/Environmental Education (EE)/Climate Change Education (CCE)/Green Schools led by the Education Unit of UNESCO Office, Jakarta;
- Assist facilitating development of a capacity-building strategy and concept for the Cluster Countries of UNESCO Office, Jakarta in support of ESD/EE/CCE/Green Schools programme activities in close collaboration with other relevant Programme Officers of UNESCO Office, Jakarta;
- Assist regular/unexpected field visits, including to provide information in Indonesian and English when monitoring project progress status and their results, and report back on key issues requiring priority attention and follow-up actions;
- Assist development of community-school partnerships through ESD/EE/CCE/Green Schools networks, explaining its importance and praxis within teacher education;
- Participate in regular project meetings and collaborative team-building activities between UNESCO and its local, national and international partners;
- Assist the ESD Team members in contributing to ongoing constructive and effective communication, decision-making and consensus-building between UNESCO, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Environment, UN agencies, and ESD networks/counterparts, concerning the direction, process and results of the ESD programmes at the national, sub-regional and regional levels;
- Perform other duties in her field(s) of competence as required.
1. Fluency in spoken and written in English as well as possess the ability to draft documents and express views in a clear and concise manner;
2. Ability to work as a team member as well as work independently with minimum supervision, with efficiency, competence, integrity and in harmony with people of different national backgrounds
3. Ability to identify prioritised activities and assignments as well as manage time to ensure work is completed to deadlines and targets
4. Ability to arrange events and meetings inviting national and international participants
5. Strong analytical skills and ability to analyse complex issues and convey concise and clear accounts of specialised information
6. Ability to work under pressure while maintaining accuracy and paying attention to details.
7. Excellent communication, negotiation and coordination skills
- Demonstrate integrity and fairness;
- Promote the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNESCO; and
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- At least three years national or international research/survey working experience in the related field of education, Education for Sustainable Development, Environmental Education, Climate Change Education or education studies disciplines;
- At least one educational article/report of research or survey in English at a national level since 2010 up to present;
- Proven professional credibility and working experience in a governmental, multilateral or civil society organization would be assets;
- Extensive network of international and individual contacts would be an assets.
- Data collection and analysis in assisting ESD research/survey, curriculum development and learning tool kits
- Proven knowledge of the Indonesian educational system structure and function;
- Demonstrated well developed organizational skills;
- Ability to work in a team; creating a positive environment, mentoring and guiding colleagues on the project activities;
- Good partnership building skills;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to write concise and analytical reports;
- Knowledge management and learning;
- Ability to strongly promote and build knowledge products;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information and good practices from within and outside of UNESCO;
- Provide constructive coaching and feedback.
- At least Master’s Degree in Education.
- The majors in Education for Sustainable Development/Environmental Education/Science Education would be an asset
- At least three years of working experience in Education fields;
- At least one article/report of research or survey in English at a national level since 2010 up to present.
- Working experiences in ESD/EE/Science Education would be assets.
- Expertise in teacher trainings/curriculum development/school programmes would be assets
- Fluent in spoken and written both in English and in Bahasa Indonesia - Especially Bahasa Indonesia at a native level is required.
- Good ability to work in an international or multicultural environment;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as networking and negotiating skills;
- Sound knowledge on information technology and management;
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office, internet).
Conditions of Employment:
- One year with three months’ probationary period.
- High possibility of extension to December 2015 based on a performance quality.
- Mobility is required as the incumbent has to undertake missions outside his/her duty station.
UNESCO is a non-smoking organization.
Submit your application letter accompanied by updated curriculum vitae (UNESCO Personnel History form and a recent photo) along with salary history and three (3) professional references to:
Administrative Officer UNESCO Office, Jakarta UNESCO House Jl. Galuh (II) No. 5 Kebayoran Baru Jakarta 12110, Indonesia Fax: +62-21-72796489 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Those interested should submit their application along with curriculum vitae and other supporting documents directly to email@example.com by 8 March 2013, at the latest. We shall only respond to short-listed candidates and with whom the organization has an interest.Back to top