Project Assistant for Culture Unit
Unit: Culture Unit, UNESCO Office, Jakarta
Job Title: Project Assistant
Level: GS 6
Duty Station: Jakarta, Indonesia
Duration of contract: 1 (one) year with possible extension, first 6 (six) months probation period
Starting date: May 2014
Closing Date of Application: 10 April 2014
I. Description of Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Director of UNESCO Office, Jakarta, and the direct supervision of the Head of the Culture Unit, the incumbent shall perform the following functions:
- Assist the Culture Unit in planning, managing, implementing, monitoring and reporting on the overall Culture regular programme work plans and budget;
- Assist the Culture Unit in planning, managing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating Culture extra-budgetary project activities namely “First phase project for the revitalisation of Kota Tua, Jakarta through sustainable tourism and heritage conservation”;
- Assist the Culture Unit in monitoring the conservation and restoration activities at selected historic building(s) in the Kota Tua area using international best practices standards;
- Assist the Culture Unit in organizing conservation study and international workshops/symposiums on the revitalization of Kota Tua.
- Liaise with key stakeholders, international/national experts and institutions for the smooth implementation of the UNESCO project at the Kota Tua area.
- Assist in designing and developing new project concept notes and project proposals and liaise with potential donors and partners.
- Assist in the preparation of speeches, briefing notes, and inputs requested by UNESCO Headquarters on various on-going culture programme/activities by providing factual information, advice and guidance on a variety of issues and contemplated actions;
- Assist in the preparation of annual report, evaluation and narrative reports of UNESCO’s programmes/projects/activities in Kota Tua area, and UNESCO Cooperation and Partnership Documents by researching background materials and analyzing and extracting data and information;
- Assist in maintaining internal and external relations with regards to the implementation of the culture programme activities through participating in meetings and other activities representing the unit/office with relevant partners and stakeholders. Take notes during the meetings and undertake necessary follow-ups;
- Undertake necessary missions, if required, to assist the implementation of culture programme activities.
- Prepare and review documents relating to travel, contracts, purchase of equipment and recommend on contractual arrangements ensuring that they conform to the approved program activities, Rules, Regulations and specific procedures; Ensure timely processing of contracts, amendments and obligations and monitor the progress of the finalization of the process, supervise proper application of administrative procedures;
- Perform other duties related to UNESCO Culture Programme activities as assigned by the Programme Specialist or the Director of UNESCO Office, Jakarta;
- Submit a report on the activities carried out in the UNESCO Office, Jakarta at the end of the contract period.
1. Fluency in spoken and written in English as well as possess the ability to draft documents and express views in a clear and concise manner;
2. Ability to work as a team member as well as work independently with minimum supervision, with efficiency, competence, integrity and in harmony with people of different national backgrounds
3. Ability to identify prioritised activities and assignments as well as manage time to ensure work is completed to deadlines and targets
4. Ability to arrange events and meetings inviting national and international participants
5. Strong analytical skills and ability to analyse complex issues and convey concise and clear accounts of specialised information
6. Ability to work under pressure while maintaining accuracy and paying attention to details.
7. Excellent communication, negotiation and coordination skills
III. EDUCATION AND TRAINING BACKGROUND:
- University graduate/Postgraduate in culture or architecture related discipline. Knowledge on historic preservation and architectural/urban planning would be an advantage;
- At least 6 (six) year relevant experience in project management with local and / or international organizations;
- Having strong computer literacy skills with sound knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Excellent oral communication and report writing skills in English and Indonesian.
Back to top
Please send a cover letter, CV and P-11 form to jakarta(at)unesco.org. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquiries will be accepted. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. UNESCO reserves the right to accept or reject any application.