UNESCO Office, Jakarta is mandated to represent the Five Cluster Countries: Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Timor Leste. Each Cluster Country has established a National Commission on Education to support the implementation of its programmes as part of UNESCO’s cornerstone programmes.
The implementation strategies are as follows:
- Incorporating ESD into existing programmes and activities, and strengthening these programmes;
- Influencing the direction of educational reforms in the five countries;
- Encouraging donors to support ESD;
- Integrating ESD into existing UN initiatives such as the MDGs, EFA and UNLD;
- Sharing information, opportunities and resources.
A major emphasis of UNESCO’s activities is encouraging and supporting reforms towards the development of more qualitative, effective and efficient education systems. This is done by assisting people, particularly marginalized groups, to cope with increasingly widespread poverty, and dealing with social conflicts while competing more effectively in the global market.