Vacancy notice - Project coordinator “Increasing the Safety of Journalists”
The UNESCO Office in Kathmandu is implementing the project “Increasing the Safety of Journalists” in close cooperation with the Government of Nepal, the National Human Rights Commission, the Federation of Nepali Journalists (FNJ), Freedom Forum, Sancharika Samuha, the Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (ACORAB) and members of Nepal International Media Partnership (NIMP) with funds from the United Nations Peacebuilding Fund (UNPBF) through the United Nations Peace Fund for Nepal (UNPFN).
The UNESCO Office in Kathmandu seeks applications from qualified Nepali candidates for the following position:
Full-time based in UNESCO Kathmandu Office, with frequent field visits
Type of Contract
SB 3, Band B, Step 1
Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent shall coordinate the implementation of the project “Increasing Safety of Journalists”, under the overall authority of the Head of the UNESCO Office in Kathmandu and UNESCO Representative to Nepal, and in close cooperation with the Communication and Information (CI) unit of the Office.
In particular, s/he shall:
1. Assist in the detailed planning of project activities;
2. Ensure day-to-day implementation of project activities;
3. Liaise with project stakeholders;
4. Ensure reporting and evaluation;
5. Organize the project documentation;
6. Contribute to the outreach of the project.
Candidates must possess the following minimum qualifications:
1. Master’s degree in a relevant discipline, preferably in journalism or mass communication;
2. 3-5 years of experience of working in the area of communication, media development and/or human rights, preferably with a UN agency, an INGO or a Government of Nepal entity;
3. 2 years of experience of working in project planning and management;
4. Good knowledge in the following areas
a. Situation of the media in Nepal and of the safety situation of journalists;
b. Human rights situation and actors in Nepal;
c. International development cooperation in the area of media development and human rights.
d. UNESCO’s action in communication and information;
5. Excellent project planning, management and evaluation skills;
6. Very good written and oral communication skills in English and Nepali.
Women and members of minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested candidates are requested to send their application in English, including a motivation letter and the completed UNESCO CV form, accompanied by a recent passport size photograph and copies of diplomas to:
UNESCO Representative to Nepal,
UNESCO Office in Kathmandu
P.O. Box 14391
The deadline for applications is 25 April 2013.
Application forms and post description are available at UNESCO Kathmandu Office, Reception Desk, Sanepa-2, Lalitpur, tel. 01 5554396.
or download the Application Form
(Click 'CV UNESCO 01' in the right hand side column under Files to download the application form in .doc version)
<- Back to: UNESCO Office in Kathmandu