MERCOSUR Training Course on Building Digital Libraries
In cooperation with the "Universidade de la Republica Oriental de Uruguay", UNESCO Montevideo and the National Library of Uruguay will organize in Montevideo, Uruguay from 29 August - 2 September 2005, a training course for MERCOSUR countries on the creation of digital libraries.
The course will cover topics such as:
- Libraries, Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) and digital information;
- Introduction to digital libraries;
- Management of technical resources for the digital environment;
- Metadata, digital formats, preservation and the future of digital formats;
- Digital libraries and free software, introduction to different existing software including Greenstone (hands-on sessions, installation and building digital collections).
UNESCO's mandate includes the promotion of the free flow of ideas, and in this context, the Organization supports activities leading to enhanced access to educational, scientific and cultural information by libraries in all countries.
This course forms part of the Organization's action to create and strengthen information centres, libraries and archives, and is intended to develop the capacities of information specialists to establish digital libraries in their own institutions.
<- Back to: All news