Initial meeting of the open-ended tripartite working group for the follow-up of the review of the cooperation of UNESCO’s Secretariat with National Commissions for UNESCO
Friday 19 October 2012, from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. at UNESCO Headquarters - Room XII
The first all-day meeting of the open-ended tripartite working group organized by the Sector for External Relations and Public Information (ERI) was held on Friday, 19 October 2012, Room XII at UNESCO Headquarters. 146 participants from 99 countries, including 36 National Commissions and 82 Permanent Delegations attended this meeting. The Secretariat participated as the third component of this mechanism. The purpose was to further strengthen cooperation between the Secretariat of UNESCO and the National Commissions following the final IOS report, regional consultation discussions, and Executive Board endorsement to begin work on developing an action plan for the follow-up of the review of the cooperation of UNESCO’s Secretariat with National Commissions for UNESCO. Organized around the six recommendations of the evaluation of the IOS, the meeting was co-chaired with great enthusiasm and talent by H.E. Mohamed Sameh Amr, Ambassador and Permanent Delegate of the Arab Republic of Egypt to UNESCO and Neil Walter, Chairman of the New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO.
The event was inclusive in nature (all regions were represented), clear (a very frank dialogue has been established from the beginning) and constructive. The objectives of the meeting were modest and interventions had mainly been to further clarify participant’s questions.
In conclusion, the participants agreed to:
· Extend the two co-Chairs’ mandate until the end of this exercise (probably until the 37th session of the General Conference);
· Circulate the summary record of the meeting to all Permanent Delegations and National Commissions;
· Establish an e-forum open to all Permanent Delegations and National Commissions to collect proposals in the coming weeks;
· Organize a second meeting of the tripartite working group in mid-January 2013;
· Develop an action plan for submission to the 191st session of the Executive Board (April 2013), including designating the parties responsible for their implementation;
· Request the Executive Board to submit this action plan to the 37th session of the General Conference for adoption.
<- Back to: All news