Turkey contributes $5 million to UNESCO
Turkey this week donated $5 million to the Multi-Donor Emergency Fund launched by the Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova, following the suspension of dues by the United States and Israel. The Director-General thanked Turkey for their contribution, which brings the total amount paid into the Fund to $25.2 million, with another $20 million pledged.
"Turkey will consider contributing to the Special Emergency Multi-Donor fund on a yearly basis until UNESCO’s overall financial situation improves", said the Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ahmed Davutoglu, in a letter sent to the Director-General.
"The Turkish government has also called upon the international community as well as Turkish private sector companies and foundations to extend their support to UNESCO," said, adding that Turkey would also pay its budget contributions for 2012 and 2013 ($ 4.4million) before the end of January.
"I would like to warmly thank all of the countries that have shown us their support and their confidence," said the Director-General. "Many of these countries are also experiencing difficulties and their gesture is all the more appreciated."
The announcement by Turkey and the comments of the Director-General were made on Thursday, 26 January at a meeting of Permanent Delegates to UNESCO, during which Ms Bokova provided an overview of the measures taken so far to reduce costs and increase the Organization’s efficiency.