UNESCO/IFESCCO Regional Training for museum specialists conducted in Azerbaijan
The Regional UNESCO/ICOM Thematic Training for museum professionals from CIS countries “Museum Service as a Basis for Quality Services to Visitors and the Factor of strengthening of a Social Role of a Museum”, conducted from 30 October to 3 November 2013, in Baku and Sheki, Azerbaijan in the framework of the joint long-term project of the UNESCO and Intergovernmental Foundation for Educational, Scientific and Cultural Cooperation (IFESCCO) – “Running a Museum – XXI Century: UNESCO/ICOM Thematic Regional Trainings and expert meetings of CIS countries on the development of potential in museum management” (2011-2014).
The regional capacity-building museum training for CIS countries is based on the UNESCO/ICOM Museum Studies Training Package issued within the UNESCO/ IFESCCO project for museum specialists in 2010.
The training organized by the UNESCO Moscow Office, in partnership with the Social Ecological Center “EkoSfera”, Azerbaijan Committee of ICOM and in cooperation with National Commission of the Republic of Azerbaijan for UNESCO, with consultative assistance of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Museum Center of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of the Azerbaijan Republic.
The Regional Training focused on the supporting historic-ethnographic local museums, in particular the development of their educational recourses and their role in cultural tourism promotion; strengthening museum service as a basis for quality services to visitors and highlighted the role of small regional museums. During the Training the following issues discussed:
- creative approaches to exhibition activities of museums,
- importance of involvement of local communities to museum work and improvement of museum personnel activity.
The following issues were on the agenda of the Regional Thematic UNESCO/ICOM Training for museum specialists:
- Diversity of museum services;
- Provision of cultural and educational, scientific, aesthetic, artistic and other (entertainment, leisure) needs of visitors;
- Marketing research of museum audience;
- Promotion of the educational role of museums;
- Exhibition activities of museums: conceptual approaches, modern standards of design and planning;
- Museum work with local community and its role in preservation and promotion of tangible and intangible cultural heritage.
The Regional Training in Baku and Sheki (Azerbaijan) involved highly qualified specialists in priority areas in museum management and museum pedagogy as trainers and experts as well as the participation of representatives of the leading museums of Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, the Republic of Moldova, the Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. The participants of the project had the opportunity to visit the major museums of Azerbaijan in Baku and Sheki, exchange information and experiences about modern museum practice and activities.
The Regional Thematic Museum Training “Museum Service as a Basis for Quality Services to Visitors and the Factor of strengthening of a Social Role of a Museum” aimed at achieving general goals of the UNESCO/IFESCCO project, including mobilizing innovative partnerships to promote and strengthen the role of museums as social, educational and economic actors, particularly building their capacities in the fields of safeguarding the heritage, awareness raising of cultural diversity, and economic entrepreneurship in local handicrafts, cultural industries and cultural tourism.
- Programme of the Training
- Press-release of the training
- Address on behalf of the UNESCO Moscow Office (in Russian)
- Address on behalf of the IFESCCO (in Russian)
<- Back to: UNESCO Office in Moscow