The Natural Sciences Sector, with a staff of around 120 people in UNESCO Headquarters and Field Offices, is headed by Flavia Schlegel, the Assistant Director-General for Natural Sciences.
Programmes and activities are implemented through UNESCO Headquarters and the UNESCO Field Office network.
Three Divisions, four thematic cross-cutting units and the Secretariat of the UNESCO Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission compose the Sector.
- Division of Science Policy and Capacity Building
- Division of Water Sciences
- Division of Ecological and Earth Sciences
- Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission
- Cross-cutting Thematic Units on Engineering, Science Education, Biodiversity and Disaster Risk Reduction
Around half of the 57 UNESCO field offices have a specialist in the natural sciences.