International Advisory Committee for Biosphere Reserves
The International Advisory Committee for Biosphere Reserves is the primary scientific and technical Committee body advising the International Co-ordinating Council (ICC) of the MAB Programme and its World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR) and the Director General of UNESCO on matters pertaining to the WNBR.
The Committee advise the Director-General of UNESCO and the MAB-ICC on scientific and technical matters concerning the nomination of new sites and, changes and periodic reviews of sites already included in the WNBR, as well as the development, operation and monitoring of the WNBR which they constitute in accordance with the Seville Strategy and the Statutory Framework for the WNBR.
The Committee is composed of twelve members, who are appointed for four years by the Director-General, after consultation with the Member States and or the National Committees for the Man and the Biosphere Programme of the countries concerned.
The members of the Committee are selected for their scientific qualifications and for their experience in promoting and implementing the concept of biosphere reserve.
- The 20th Meeting of the International Advisory Committee for Biosphere Reserves will take place from 17 to 20 March 2014 in UNESCO Headquarters, Paris.
Members of the International Advisory Committee for Biosphere Reserves
- Mr Thabit Zahran Salim Al Abdessalaam, United Arab Emirates (2011-2014)
- Ms H. Anusha U. Amarasinghe, Sri Lanka (2012-2015)
- Prof. Dr. Luis E. Aragón, Brasil (2012-2015)
- Mr Do-Soon Cho, Republic of Korea (2012-2015)
- Mr Petr Cupa, Czech Republic (2012-2015)
- Ms Vanja Debevec Gerjevič, Slovenia (2011-2014)
- Mr Sergio A. Guevara Sada, Mexico (2011-2014)
- Mr Raphaël Mathevet, France (2011-2014)
- Ms Isabelle Niang, Senegal (2011-2014)
- Mr Ghassan Ramadan-Jaradi, Lebanon (2011-2014)
- Mr Guy Suzon Ramangason, Madagascar (2012-2015)
- Ms Maria Thorell, Sweden (2012-2015)