The strengths and opportunities of partnerships and alliances are drawn upon to cooperatively achieve UNESCO’s objectives and implement the MAB Programme through:
- MAB Regional and Thematic Networks: MAB National Committees and biosphere reserve co-ordinators establish and maintain sub-regional, regional networks and thematic networkdto foster exchange of information and experience and share responsibilities through various bilateral and multilateral agreements.
- Great Apes Survival Project (GRASP) Partnership: dynamic alliance bringing together governmental, intergovernmental, non-governmental, scientific and academic foundations, local community and private sector to lift the threat of imminent extinction faced by gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos and orangutans.
- South-South Co-operation Programme: uses biosphere reserves as the basis of cooperation on the rehabilitation of degraded lands, improved agroforestry, forest ecology and sustainable land use in the context of the humid tropical regions.
- Biosphere Connections Partnership: established by the Global Airline coalition "Star Alliance" together with UNESCO-MAB, Ramsar Wetlands and IUCN to support nature conservation and sustainable development.
- UNESCO – CHIC Group (China) Biosphere Integrated Rural Urbanization Programme (BIRUP)
The BIRUP project promotes green economies in the Ba’nan District (China) based on integrated rural land consolidation with new agricultural projects, training of farmers and expansion of urbanized rural villages in-line with the biosphere reserve concept. See BIRUP White Paper for more information.
- Starlight Initiative: highlights the importance of maintaining the quality of the night sky in order to allow for the continuation of scientific as well as amateur observations of the stars in La Palma biosphere reserve and around the world.
- Danone Waters/German Biosphere Reserves Partnership: through the partnership, Danone Waters Deutschland provides financial support to selected projects aiming at improving or safeguarding the quality of water and water bodies (lakes, rivers and groundwater) in Germany’s biosphere reserves.