Criteria and Objectives
The Awards basics
The MAB Young Scientists Awards targets young researchers carrying out interdisciplinary research in line with UNESCO's Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Programme. Priority is given to projects carried out in biosphere reserves.
How to apply for MAB Young Scientists Awards
Application forms for 2013 MAB Young Scientists Awards Scheme available here:
Note that applications must be received by UNESCO no later than 30 October 2012 to be eligible.
The objectives of the MAB Young Scientists Award Scheme are to:
- encourage young scientists, in particular those from developing countries, to use MAB research, project sites and biosphere reserves in their research;
- encourage young scientists who already use such sites to undertake comparative studies in other sites in or outside their own country;
- assist exchange of information and experience among a new generation of scientists.
The following criteria are used in the selection of MAB Young Scientists Awards:
- To be eligible, award applications must be made on the MAB Young Scientists Award application form (in English or French) and be endorsed by the applicant's MAB National Committee*, which may endorse only two applications per year from applicants who are not older than 40 years of age (at the closing date of the application).
- Priority is given to interdisciplinary projects carried out in biosphere reserves designated under the Man and the Biosphere Programme or potential biosphere reserves.
- Applicants from developed countries are eligible for Awards only in exceptional cases.
- Awards are set at a maximum of US$5,000 each.
- Research supported by an Award should be completed within two years.
- Candidates must accept to submit reports of Award-funded research to the MAB Secretariat in Paris and to their MAB National Committees*, and agree to the possibility of UNESCO publishing the results of their research.
- International travel expenses are usually not covered under these Awards.
* For the countries in which a MAB National Committee does not exist or is not fully operational, the National Commission for UNESCO will ensure the selection of candidates according to the above criteria.
Application forms for MAB Young Scientists Award are available from: MAB Secretariat, Division of Ecological and Earth Sciences, UNESCO, 1 rue Miollis, 75732 Paris Cedex 15, France mab.awards(at)unesco.org