The ArabMAB Network was officially launched in Amman (Jordan) in 1997. The overall objective of ArabMAB is to promote co-operation between Arab National MAB Committees in order to strengthen the MAB programme in the Arab Region, including through the establishment of biosphere reserves and the implementation of common research and public awareness projects.
Members of ArabMAB constitute the ArabMAB Coordinating Council that meets every two years to elect a Bureau and to adopt a work programme for the biennium. The Council meetings are usually also the venue for expert meetings and technical workshops. ArabMAB Council meetings have been held in Agadir, Morocco (1999); Damascus, Syria, (2001); Beirut, Lebanon (2004). Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt (2007). El-Chouf Cedar Biosphere Reserve, Lebanon (2010).
Currently, the ArabMAB Bureau has the following composition:
- Chair: Mr Anwar Al-Himyari (Yemen)
- Past Chair: Mr Samir Ghabbour (Egypt)
- Member: Mr Driss Fassi (Morocco)
- Member: Mr Ghassan Jaradi (Lebanon)
- Member: Ms Salwa Abdulhamid (Sudan)
- Member: Ms Boshra Salem (Egypt)
- Member: Mr Emad Hasson (Syria)
- Member: Mr Tarek El-Jadidi (Libya)