UNESCO workshop on "Addressing Water Quality Challenges in Africa", Nairobi, Kenya, 14-16 March 2011
The Secretariat of UNESCO’s International Hydrological Programme and UNESCO Regional Office in Africa will organize UNESCO workshop on "Addressing Water Quality Challenges in Africa" in Nairobi, Kenya, from 14-16 March 2011. The workshop is organized in the framework of the implementation of Focal Area 4.1 "Protecting water quality for sustainable livelihoods and poverty alleviation" of the 7th phase of the International Hydrological Programme (IHP-VII, 2008-2013) of UNESCO.
The main goal of the workshop is to assist African countries in addressing water quality challenges for sustainable water resources management. The workshop will aim at identifying the critical problems related to water quality and water pollution, assessing their causes and trends and developing recommendation for solutions and strategies to tackle the water quality challenges in African countries.
The regional focus of this workshop on Africa is aligned with the UNESCO’s overarching priority on Africa for 2008-2013. The workshop will bring together water experts, nominated by IHP National Committees of African countries and other stakeholders from regional and sub-regional water-related institutions.
The workshop will focus on:
- Water quality and water pollution challenges in Africa and their relationships with human health, the environment and socioeconomic issues;
- Policies and strategies at national, sub-regional and regional levels regarding water quality/pollution management in African countries;
- Identifying solutions to address water quality and water pollution problems;
- Developing recommendations for approaches, policies and strategies to support the integrated water quality management towards sustainable water resources management in Africa;
For further information about the workshop, contact:
- Dr Sarantuyaa Zandaryaa - UNESCO International Hydrological Programme
- Dr Abou Amani - Regional Hydrologist for Africa, UNESCO Nairobi Office
<- Back to: Water