Sustainable Capacity Development and Education for Sustainable Development
With education and capacity building forming the core of UNESCO's work, there are multiple strands to the Organization's substantive contribution to this part of the Mauritius Strategy. These strands include its priority concern with basic education and its lead role in the UN-wide, decade-long initiative of education for sustainable development. Also, work in such fields as promoting technical and vocational education, improving the quality of education, taking advantage of the opportunities offered by new information and communication technologies, and tailoring education and training to the special needs of particular groups within society.
Crucial to these diverse contributions are field offices in the different SIDS regions, and well as specialized centers and institutes and several networks of cooperation (some well-established, others new).
- Education for Sustainable Development
- Priority to Basic Education: Education for All
- Technical and Vocational Education and Training
- Associated Schools Project Network
- UNITWIN/UNESCO Chairs Programme
- University Consortium of Small Island States
- UNESCO Institutes and Centres for Education
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics
- Sandwatch: Adapting to Climate Change and Educating for Sustainable Development
- 'Sustainable Capacity Building and ESD' and '60 Minutes to Convince'
- Participation Programme
- UNESCO Focal Points for 'Sustainable Capacity Building and ESD' in SIDS Regions