UNESCO launches the project +20 Ideas to Rotate the World
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) in Brazil is launching the +20 Ideias para Girar o Mundo (+20 Ideas to Rotate the World) project as a contribution to the debates within the scope of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, Rio+20. The project gathers the thoughts and ideas of 20 public personalities, from different fields, who are recognized in Brazil for their work on promoting the environmental, social and human development.
The project, a partnership among UNESCO, Pacto Audiovisual, TAL- Latin America Television and Petra Energia, is comprised of 20 mini-conferences, each shot as a video of 7 minutes of maximum duration. Recognized authorities in the field were invited to express their opinions freely, with their personal approaches, about sustainable development and priorities for Brazil and the world. The opinions expressed by the participants do not represent official stances of either UNESCO or its partners.
The Project participants were challenged with the following questions:
- What is your concept of sustainability?
- How can we make the world more sustainable, keeping in mind the three dimensions of sustainability – economy, environment and society – both in Brazil and in the world?
- Which should be our priorities and where should we start?
- What is the individual’s responsibility in the construction of sustainability?
Focused on diversity of opinions and guided by respect to freedom of speech, the staff of UNESCO in Brazil has selected a list of relevant personalities from diverse professional backgrounds, with a firm belief that this group of people has something sound and interesting to say. Those ideas and thoughts add quality to the discussions on sustainability for the planet which will not necessarily be addressed at Rio+20.
The 20 mini-conferences, besides being introduced by the Office Director of UNESCO in Brazil, Lucien Muñoz, will be available within no cost on the hotsite +20 Ideas to Rotate the World and will be broadcasted through online networks and Brazilian and Latin American television. The reproduction of the participant videos of the Project +20 Ideas to Rotate the World is allowed as long as the source is properly mentioned.
The results of Rio +20 are of fundamental importance to the global environment in the coming years. The conference, that takes place between 20 – 22 June, 2012, in Rio de Janeiro, is part of a continuous movement aimed at ensuring political commitment to sustainable development and intends to discuss the means to face the challenges presented by the 21st century.
Participants of the project:
- Adalberto Luis Val, Researcher at the National Institute of Amazonian Research (INPA);
- Ailton Krenak, Coordinator of Rede Povos da Floresta (Forest Peoples Network);
- Carlinhos Brown, Musician and Songwriter;
- Carlos Aragão, Director-General of the National Center for Research in Energy and Materials (CNPEM/ABTLUS);
- Elisa Reis, Professor of Political Sociology (UFRJ);
- Ferreira Gullar, Poet;
- Gilson Schwartz, Professor of Economics (ECA-USP);
- Izabel Mayor, Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (UFRJ);
- Jacob Palis, President of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences;
- Maria Rita Kehl, Psychoanalyst;
- Mayana Zatz, Director of the Human Genome Research Center – Institute of Science and Technology in Stem Cells and Genetic Diseases (USP);
- Nizan Guanaes, President of the ABC Group, UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador;
- Oskar Metsavaht, Businessman, UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador;
- Roberto DaMatta, Professor of Social Anthropology (PUC-Rio);
- Roseli de Deus Lopes, Professor at Escola Politécnica (USP);
- Sergio Abranches, Commentator at CBN Radio Station;
- Sergio Mascarenhas, Project Coordinator of the Institute of Advanced Studies (USP-São Carlos);
- Tia Dag, Founder and President of Casa do Zezinho;
- Tião Santos, Member of the National Committee of the National Movement of Recyclable Material Collectors;
- Tadao Takahashi, Planning Coordinator of Núcleo de Estudos sobre o Futuro (PUC-SP).
UNESCO at Rio+20
UNESCO participates in Rio+20 through the organization of side events and discussions during the Conference, besides de +20 Ideas to Rotate de World Project. Some of these events are:
- From 11 to 15 June, at PUC-Rio: Forum on Science, Technology, and Innovation for Sustainable Development;
- 19 June, at Riocentro, P 3-6: Launching of Higher Education for Sustainable Development Initiative;
- 21 June, at Riocentro, T-2: Education for a Sustainable Future
Learn about UNESCO contributions to Rio+20: http://www.unesco.org/new/pt/rioplus20/
More information on +20 Ideas to Rotate de World Project:
More information on partner institutions:
- Pacto Audiovisual: http://www.pactoaudiovisual.com.br/
- Televisão América Latina-TAL: http://tal.tv/
- Petra Energia S.A.: http://www.petraenergia.com.br/
<- Back to: Basic Sciences