Regional Science Technology Policy Reviews and Statistics Workshop
Bamako, Mali, 10 - 13 May 2010
This meeting, hosted by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research of Mali, is intended to bring together representatives from West Africa in a capacity building initiative in STI policy reviews. This review meeting will promote regional cooperation and analyze training needs to develop capacity in STI policy.
This regional meeting will bring together simultaneously S&T statisticians and policymakers. Important issues for these countries will be analyzed, especially the need to link S&T data to S&T policy and economic growth.
- Analyze recent national experiences and trends regarding science, technology and innovation policy-relevant indicators in West African countries;
- Training of high-level technical staff from S&T statistical bodies in West African countries;
- Increase the number of countries regularly producing quality S&T indicators, in line with the requirements of the CPA;
- Strengthen local capacities as indicated in the CPA, for the production of such indicators, with the final aim of establishing sustainable local S&T statistics systems in West African countries;
- Promote the use of S&T indicators to support evidence-based S&T policy making;
- Share experiences with other countries in the region regarding S&T indicators, and to address the problems that countries may have encountered in collecting and analyzing S&T statistics.
Contact: S. Nair-bedouelle, Division of Science Policy and Sustainable, UNESCO
<- Back to: Science Policy