2013 Water for Life Award will focus on Water Cooperation
On the occasion of the Technical Session on Water Cooperation at the Rio+20 Summit in Brazil, organized by the Government of Tajikistan, the 3rd edition of the “Water for Life” UN-Water Best Practices Award was announced on 21 June 2012.
The purpose of the Award is to promote efforts to fulfil international commitments made on water and water-related issues by 2015 through recognition of outstanding best practices that can ensure the long-term sustainable management of water resources and contribute to the achievement of internationally agreed goals and targets contained in the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), Agenda 21 and the Johannesburg Plan of Implementation.
Organized and coordinated by the United Nations Office to Support the International Decade for Action “Water for Life” 2005-2015, which implements the UN-Water Decade Programme on Advocacy and Communication (UNW-DPAC), and the UN World Water Assessment Programme (WWAP), the prize is awarded yearly in two categories:
- best water management practices;
- best participatory, communication, awareness-raising and education practices.
Every year, special emphasis is being put on the theme selected for next World Water Day. World Water Day is held annually on 22 March as a means of focusing attention on the importance of water and advocating for the sustainable management of water resources. In 2013, focus is given to the topic Water Cooperation.
The prize will be awarded at the World Water Day ceremony on 22 March 2013.
- 21 June 2012: Announcement of 3rd edition of “Water for Life” UN-Water Best Practices Award in Rio+20
- 15 September 2012: Application deadline
- 15 October 2012: Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) starts assessment
- 15 November 2012: International jury starts evaluation
- 22 March 2013: Announcement of winners; award ceremony at World Water Day 2013
<- Back to: Biodiversity Initiative