International Platform for Reducing Earthquake Disaster (UNESCO-IPRED)
The newly established International Platform for Reducing Earthquake Disaster (IPRED) is a platform for collaborative research, training and education in the field of seismology and earthquake engineering. The International Institute of Seismology and Earthquake Engineering (IISEE) acts as this platform’s 'Centre of Excellence'. Supported by UNESCO, IISEE was established in Japan in 1962, it is dedicated to training researchers and engineers in developing countries. The main objects of this initiative are the following:
- To exchange information and propose plans on collaborative research, training, and education regarding seismology and earthquake engineering in order to reduce disasters due to earthquakes, especially on buildings and housing.
- To address policy-relevant issues related to the reduction of earthquake disaster risks and implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action, including the formulation of recommendations on priorities of the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (ISDR).
- To establish a system to dispatch experts to earthquake stricken countries in order to carry out post-earthquake field investigations and draw lessons for future risk reduction, by utilizing the worldwide network of the graduates of training courses organized by the IISEE (over 1400 graduates from some 100 countries).
Following the kickoff meeting in Japan in June 2007, the 1st Session of IPRED was held at UNESCO in Paris in July 2008. It was attended by representatives of major earthquake-prone countries (Chile, Egypt, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Peru, Romania, and Turkey).The 2nd Session of IPRED was held in Istanbul in July 2009 and the 3rd Session of IPRED was held in Padang in July 2010.
Eighth Session of the IPRED
Dates: 10-11 March 2015
Venue: Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism of Japanese Government, Tokyo, Japan
- Seventh Session of the IPRED and UNESCO-IPRED International Workshop on “Actions Needed for the Next Decade to Reduce Earthquake Losses”
Dates: 27-30 May 2014
Venue: Almaty Resort Hotel, Almaty, Kazakhstan
Sixth Session of the IPRED and UNESCO-IPRED International Workshop on “Preparing Ourselves for Future Earthquakes”
Dates: 4-7 June 2013
Venue: Centro Peruano-Japonés de Investigaciones Sísmicas y Mitigación de Desastres (CISMID), Lima, Perú.
- Fifth Session of the IPRED and UNESCO-IPRED International Memorial Symposium on "Protecting Lives from Earthquake and Tsunami Disasters"
Dates: 26-29 June 2012
Venue: National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), Tokyo, Japan
- Fourth Session of the IPRED and UNESCO-IPRED International Workshop on "Protecting Structures, Saving Lives"
Dates: 26-28 July 2011
Venue: Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago de Chile.
- Third Session of the IPRED
(UNESCO-IPRED Workshop on Surveys and Activities of Post Earthquake Disaster and Training of Trainers on Building Back Better)
Dates: 6-8 July 2010
Venue: Ballroom, Pangeran Beach Hotel, Padang, Indonesia
- Second Session of the IPRED
(UNESCO-IPRED-ITU Workshop on "Making the People a Part of the Solution")
Dates: 5-7 July 2009
Venue: Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
- First Session of the IPRED
Dates: 8 - 10 July, 2008
Venue: Room XVI, UNESCO Miollis Building, 1 rue Miollis, Paris 75015, FRANCE
- Kickoff Meeting
Dates: 26-28 June 2007
Venue: Tokyo-Tsukuba, Japan