MDG-F BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
Title : Mainstreaming environmental governance: linking local and national action in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Country : Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thematic Window : Environment and Development
Signing partners : Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Relations; Council of Ministers
Source of funds : Spanish MDG Achievement Fund
Designed to address and overcome barriers to delivering environmental services and management at the local level in BiH.
Interventions centre around providing capacity for developing Local Environmental Action Plans for 40 municipalities, providing seed funding for local service delivery priorities, raising the awareness and national level support for environmental action through an environmental innovation fund, and systems for capturing environmental data. The programme will strengthen management of environmental resources and service delivery through improving local environmental governance and developing replicable models for local environmental planning. The knowledge generated will inform and support national planning and policy.
Millenium Development Goals addressed
- Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Goal 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability
- Goal 8: Develop a global partnership for development
Budget in USD : $ 7,145,864 | UNESCO Budget as UN Participating Organization (amount broken down) : $ 144,000 | Geographic focus : Bosnia and Herzegovina | Started : December 2009 | Expected end date : December 2012 | Status : Ongoing | Keywords : Awareness, action, governance, volunteerism
Sept. 2009: Project document signed and implementation begun | 3 June 2010 : Letter of Agreement (LOA) signed between UNESCO and UNDP to subcontract UNESCO to implement UNDP activities | December 2011: Mid-term evaluation report issued
- Capacities of experts built on Energy Efficiency in Cultural Heritage;
- Management and protection of Vjetrenica Cave and Popovo Polje was assured;
- 37 Local Environmental Action Plans (LEAPs) were created;
- 5 Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAPs) were completed in municipalities/cities that were motivated by the programme to join the EU Covenant of Mayors, thereby committing themselves to the EU 20-20-20 targets;
- The Designated National Authority (DNA) for the Clean Development Mechanism was successfully established; 2 projects were approved by the DNA for further development and potential implementation.
- MDGF-1684: Mainstreaming environmental governance: linking local and national action in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Signed JP Bosnia and Herzegovina Environmental Governance [English, PDF]
- Mid-term evaluation and improvement plan
MDG-F Focus Country Initiative
Bosnia and Herzegovina is one of nine countries from different regions of the world selected in 2009 to receive additional support for the rigorous implementation of advocacy and communication and monitoring and evaluation strategies at the national level. As a “MDG-F Focus Country”, the UN Resident Coordinator’s office is implementing a 3-year $500,000 programme designed for the development and implementation of innovative and effective initiatives in addressing the MDGs. The rationale behind allocating this extra support is to stimulate creative and innovative interventions related to both Advocacy and M&E that can be highlighted as exemplary cases of collective action and impact on issues of poverty and the MDGs.
The boundaries and names shown and the designations used on maps do not imply official endorsement or acceptance by the United Nations.Back to top