Community of Sant'Egidio
“We developed a consensus that for this year, in a period when many conflicts are on the world, the most appropriate award would be to the Sant'Egidio Community in Rome.
We do it in recognition of their efforts in achieving ecumenical understanding between all religions, their efforts of conciliation in Algeria, Mozambique, Guinea- Bissau and Yugoslavia, for their contribution to human understanding and for eliminating the religious, political and ethnic sources of conflict”.
NB: The videos below are available in French only.
- Address by Mr Alioune Traoré, Executive Secretary of the Prize:
- Address by Mr Henri Konan Bédié, Former President of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, Sponsor of the Prize:
- Address by Mr Jean Foyer, Vice-President of the Jury, announcing the prizewinner:
- Address by Professor Andrea Riccardi, Founder and Representative of the Community of Sant’Egidio, 1999 Prizewinner:
The Award Ceremony was held on 1st of February 2001 at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, and was attended by several personalities including:
- Professor Andrea Riccardi, President of the Community of Sant’Egidio, Representative of the Prizewinner ;
- Mr Abdou Diouf, Former President of the Republic of Senegal, Patron of the Prize ;
- Mr Henri Konan Bédié, Former President of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, Sponsor of the Prize ;
- Mr Louis Michel, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Belgium ;
- Mr Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Secretary-General of the International Organization of the Francophonie ;
- Ms Lidia Brito, Minister of Higher Education , Sciences and Technology of the Republic of Mozambique, Representative of President Chissano ;
- Mr Jacques Delors, Former President of the European Commission ;
- Ms Sonia Mendieta de Badaroux, Chairperson of the Executive Board ;
- Mr Jean Foyer, Vice-President of the Jury ;
- Mr Andréas Ådahl, Member of the Jury ;
- Mr Iba Der Thiam, Member of the Jury ;
- Mr Mohammed Bedjaoui, Member of the Jury ;
- Mr Koïchiro Matsuura, Director General of UNESCO ;
- Mr Alioune Traoré, Executive Secretary of the Prize.
All use of photos is subject to the authorization of the Executive Secretariat of the Félix Houphouët-Boigny Peace Prize (UNESCO).Back to top