Yasser Arafat, Yitzhak Rabin, Shimon Peres
"We have concluded that this year, naturally, the most dramatic and important event has been the agreement between the Palestinians and Israel, and our Committee has therefore awarded the 1993 Félix Houphouët-Boigny Peace Prize to Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and to Foreign Minister Shimon Peres on the Israeli side, and to Chairman Yasser Arafat for the Palestine Liberation Organization, and we shall invite to the Award Ceremony, as a special honoured guest, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Norway, Johan Jörgen Holst, as an appreciation of the services he rendered in the cause of peace (..)."
- Arriving guests and personalities to the Ceremony held at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris:
- Address by Mr Federico Mayor, Director-General of UNESCO:
- Dr Henry A. Kissinger, President of the Jury, announcing the Prizewinners. UNESCO, Paris, 17 September 1993). NB: The video below is simultaneously interpreted into French.
- Addresses by Mr Yitzhak Rabin, Prime Minister of Israel; Mr Shimon Peres, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Israel and Mr Yasser Arafat, President of the Palestinian National Authority, 1993 Prizewinners. NB: The videos below are simultaneously interpreted into French.
The Award Ceremony of the Prize was held on 6 July 1994 at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, and was attended by several personalities including:
- Mr Henri Konan Bédié, President of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire and Sponsor of the Prize ;
- Ms Tansu Çiller, Prime Minister of the Republic of Turkey ;
- Mr Habib Thiam, Prime Minister of the Republic of Senegal ;
- Mr Mohammed-Allal Sinaceur, Minister of Cultural Affairs of the Kingdom of Morocco ;
- Mr Mohammed Salem Ould Lekhal, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania ;
- Mr Ahmed Saleh Sayyad, Chairman of the General Conference of UNESCO ;
- Ms Attiya Inayatullah, Chairperson of the Executive Board of UNESCO;
- Dr Henry A. Kissinger, President of the Jury ;
- Mr Misael Pastrana Borrero, Vice-President of the Jury ;
- Mr Mário Soares, President of the Portuguese Republic, Member of the Jury ;
- Mr Mohammed Bedjaoui, Member of the Jury ;
- Mr Iba Der Thiam, Member of the Jury ;
- Mr Federico Mayor, Director-General of UNESCO ;
- Mr Alioune Traoré, Executive Secretary of the Prize.
All use of photos is subject to the authorization of the Executive Secretariat of the Félix Houphouët-Boigny Peace Prize (UNESCO).Back to top