March 8, 2014. International Women's Day
Equality for women is progress for All
Although progress has been made, we are still a long way from achieving gender equality worldwide. There is no single country in the world where women have achieved full equality and full enjoyment of their rights. Women have a vital contribution to make to the achievement of peaceful and sustainable societies. We need to ensure that they participate fully and enjoy equal rights in all domains.
Commemorative website - Message from the Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova
First celebrated over 100 years ago, International Women’s Day has grown into a global celebration of past struggles and accomplishments of women, and more importantly an opportunity to look ahead to the untapped potential and opportunities that await future generations of women.
Celebrated by the UN since 1975, this year’s Day is dedicated to the “Equality for Women is Progress for All”. In 1945 the Charter of the United Nations became the first international agreement to affirm the principal of equality between women and men.
- Ensuring the promotion of Gender Equality
- Women and Girls Education
- World Atlas of Gender Equality in Education
- Women Make the News
“Advancing Global Partnerships to Achieving Gender Equality in and through Media.”
- For Women in Science Programme
A pioneering programme for the promotion of women in science
Women Make the News
UNESCO joins forces with international and regional partners to launch the annual Women Make the News (WMN) initiative. The theme this year is “Advancing Global Partnerships to Achieving Gender Equality in and through Media”.
Women in Science
UNESCO Institute for Statistics
- 12 Ways to Celebrate Women Make the News
- Selected publications related to Women Make the News
- Global Alliance on Media and Gender
- Global Forum on Media and Gender
- Guidelines on Gender-Neutral Language (PDF)
- The UNESCO Priority Gender Equality Action Plan 2008-2013 (GEAP)
- Malala: Symbolizing the right of girls to education
- UNWomen - Día Internacional de la Mujer
- United Nations - International Women's Day
- International Women’s Day: why the 8 of March?
Women conquering new expanses of freedom
The UNESCO Courier
Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment in Radio
Aveseh Asough - Journalist
Radio and Gender Equality
Martin Hadlow, Secretary-General, Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC)
Who Will Cast the First Vote for Equality?
Ammu Joseph - Journalist